Why is $2500 just not enough :(

Easy E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy used. There are so many people in this hobby who are constantly upgrading, or quitting because they get frustrated, there's always good quality used equipment for sale for a fraction of the cost of new. Local reef clubs are a great resource for this. I got a 125G setup with stand, sump, skimmer, overflow box, ATO, 4 LED modules w/2 controllers, powerheads, heaters, and live rock, all for less than $1000. It's certainly not state-of-the-art, but so far it appears to contain a thriving reef ecosystem. Reef clubs are also a good place to get cheap or free livestock.

Bottom line, if you're patient and willing to wait for a good deal, this hobby can be fairly inexpensive. If you want the latest and greatest, you'll pay through the nose for it.

Ufjd144

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I have two Red Sea tanks, a 130D (34 gallons) and a 425xl (88 gal plus 24 g sump). The 130D bought used 5 years ago with chiller and a bunch of stuff for $500. The 425 xl reefer bought also used as a running system for $1500. As you can see, you can keep it under $3k for sure. The issue is the rest of the purchases that follow once you have a tank.

devin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used equipment will be the way to. I’m thinking of selling my RedSea 250 and upgrading. Realistically the tank, sicce 3.0 return pump, 2 heaters and 2 Radion 15 g3 pros. Will end up selling for 1500 or so.

If you want to do it new then think about it in stages.

Month 1: Tank, sand, rock, heaters and pump

Month 3: lights

Month 6: protein skimmer and other equipment.

Month 8: schedule black market organ sale for coral.

Basically get the tank cycling right now and save or watch for used equipments, you have months.

OzinOz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They to buy a used, quality set up. It's a buyer's market. I was blessed that a guy who cleans my friend's 300 gallon found me a 75/45 glass tanks with octopus 1000, two AI 26's, 80 lbs. live rock, under adequate pump and sand and all his advice for $800. I'm at around $3,500 now after a year of upgrades and near weekly water changes, 17 mixed corals and anem. Still need carbon system and automation. Had a guy given me a 210 gallon tank but I knew better than try to take care of that and still keep my Bride :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back