Why is Facebook required for contests at R2R?

blackgrouper79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mods please read (if someone sees this and knows how to get a moderators attention please do so- and or please let me know how via PM, thanks in advance):
I sure wish reef2reef would do these give aways without having to do something through Facebook. A lot of people refuse to make a Facebook account for various reasons. Facebook has done some very unethical things, to say the least.
Hopefully others will chime in about refusing to use Facebook.
Unfortunately the people who don't use Facebook, like myself, don't even look at these give aways anymore because we know that a Facebook account will be necessary to enter and have a chance at winning. So the results will be skewed due to the fact that a lot of people do not even bother looking at what we could win (if we had a Facebook account) because we have not opened a Facebook account. Because of this it would be interesting to start a thread specifically asking about the point I've brought up, I'm really curious about the responses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi there! Thanks for the feedback. The use of Facebook and other forms of social media in contests serves as a form of marketing for R2R and sponsors who are providing the prize. Since Facebook is the largest social media venue on the internet, it is a useful medium for getting the word out about R2R and our great sponsors. However, we do also offer giveaways/contests that do not require the use of Facebook. We do also respect the right of individuals who have determined that they do not want to participate in FB for some reason or another. Unfortunately, that decision does mean that they are unable to participate in the giveaways/contests that have this as a requirement.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been brought up and discussed more than a few times. R2R and its sponsors offer these giveaways, and not all of them require FB to participate, although many do. You can choose to have FB or not, but without it you wont be able to participate or enter, its that simple. For long time I didnt have IG, but decided with all the offers/contests/giveaways, that it might be worth it...now I have IG.
As MD said, the use of a social media platform for contests, serves to bolster the companies online presence and get their name out there a bit more(advertising). Most companies dont just give stuff away from the goodness of their hearts, it gets people talking about them and their product and generates a buzz/conversation.
So, if you dont want FB, dont get it....but dont complain about not being able to enter contests that require it for entry. You can still participate in all the other offers.

BTW, a thread specifically asking this point has already been brought up, in the past and right now. im currently typing in one of those threads.....

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed...if you don't like Facebook, you have to keep your eyeballs away from it.

If it helps, consider it "too bad" for the contests (and company) they decide to hold there.

"Just because something is popular, does that mean you have to do it? Does that make it right? If everyone jumped off a bridge, I guess you'd do that too." – Every Grownup Ever

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back