Why is foam/bubbles coming out of my sock?

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did away with the tubing the previous owner had and hard plumbed my HOB overflow box and return. Although I do have flexible pipe or tubing coming off of a 45 degree pvc elbow into the sump sock to make it easier to change.

I Turned on the return pump got the Overflow going check for leaks everything is good about 45 minutes later I check to see how everything was going and saw this:

20180321_191251.jpg

What is going on or better yet what am I doing wrong?

I received these socks brand new yesterday and soak them overnight in a bucket of Rodi water.

I do not have my skimmer running yet even though I bought it brand-new there is a Nick in the cord so when it is plugged in and I'm working in the tank I get a nice little shock.

Chris Borges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum, maybe raise the hose goining in if not there's not much it could be. If it still foams I would toss them and get new ones there cheap to replace

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they come in bulk where you get them maybe something got sprayed and it landed on the sock or something could of gotten on it from the warehouse your store got them from.. it's kinda like clothes, they always tell you to wash before you wear because of all the pesticides that are sprayed.

OP
OP
N

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys. I think you're on to something. I ran a wash cycle on my washing machine empty no soap no nothing after it was finished I threw the socks in there same thing ran it through a cycle full cycle no detergent no nothing.

20180321_230527.jpg

SUDS!!!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully it didn't affect your tank too much. When I run my socks through to clean them I run them on hot water and a double rinse cycle and then do it again and let dry completely. That seems to work pretty well, and I would recommend it since you are trying to get soap out of them. I have no idea what idiot at the sock manufacturer did that, but I definitely wouldn't buy any more socks from them.

OP
OP
N

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully it didn't affect your tank too much. When I run my socks through to clean them I run them on hot water and a double rinse cycle and then do it again and let dry completely. That seems to work pretty well, and I would recommend it since you are trying to get soap out of them. I have no idea what idiot at the sock manufacturer did that, but I definitely wouldn't buy any more socks from them.

I'm not sure what or would it do/did to the tank. I'm just thankful that it is a new setup and there's no Livestock in it.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into red sea 225 micron nylon mesh socks. No more washing machine. Just rinse in the sink and then a little RODI. I've used felt socks for many years, the red sea nylon socks are amazing. I've tried other nylon socks but they can't compare.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol hmmm is it just me but maybe I’m a crazy girl and hate pain. I am not sure I’d worry about the socks right now at all. They are cheap and easy to replace. But that knick in your protien skimmer, which could easily electrocute you, and or start an electrical fire, and toast your whole house would be my main concern. Plus you will have salt Crete getting in there and it’s pretty dangerous. I lol would not suggest pluggin that thing in ever again.

OP
OP
N

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol hmmm is it just me but maybe I’m a crazy girl and hate pain. I am not sure I’d worry about the socks right now at all. They are cheap and easy to replace. But that knick in your protien skimmer, which could easily electrocute you, and or start an electrical fire, and toast your whole house would be my main concern. Plus you will have salt Crete getting in there and it’s pretty dangerous. I lol would not suggest pluggin that thing in ever again.

I've been meaning to call he online store that I got a prom to see if they'd be willing to do something about it.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into red sea 225 micron nylon mesh socks. No more washing machine. Just rinse in the sink and then a little RODI. I've used felt socks for many years, the red sea nylon socks are amazing. I've tried other nylon socks but they can't compare.

I will need to look into those as well. It would be nice to skip that process.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what or would it do/did to the tank. I'm just thankful that it is a new setup and there's no Livestock in it.
I could be missing something but getting a soap based solution into your tank might be very difficult to get rid of. Have you checked the water of the main tank to see if there are suds or anything soap related in there.

OP
OP
N

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be missing something but getting a soap based solution into your tank might be very difficult to get rid of. Have you checked the water of the main tank to see if there are suds or anything soap related in there.

I have a wave maker running inside my DT and there's no suds whatsoever in my tank.

After I ran the remaining socks through my washer I haven't had the suds or bubbles or foam problem.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back