Why is my alkalinity increasing?!?!

gabesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested my talk after water change 8.3 one week later I’m testing again 8.7?!? This has been going on for a while why am I getting this constant increase in alkalinity! I mix
My water over 24 hours so salt is completely dissolved.

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dkh does your new salt water test at?
are you mixing the salt before use and once in a while to prevent settling. I use fritz in The blue box and before I use it I empty it into bucket and mix it then back into the bag then back into the bucket to make sure the salt itself is mixed.
also it could be testing error. That’s a small increase.

OP
OP
gabesreef

gabesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea blue bucket. I mix my salt for 24h with a power head. I mix it to 1.025 and it’s usually 7.8dkh-8dkh. I typically make and use my water immediately so it’s not sitting for an extended period of time.

NatureHold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dkh does your new salt water test at?
are you mixing the salt before use and once in a while to prevent settling. I use fritz in The blue box and before I use it I empty it into bucket and mix it then back into the bag then back into the bucket to make sure the salt itself is mixed.
also it could be testing error. That’s a small increase.

+1, did you do a water change with fresh saltwater between alk tests? Your salt mix might have mixed at a higher ALK than what is in your tank. My IO mixes at about 9 DKH, and after letting it set for 2 weeks it measured at 10.1 dkh, i am having to slowly do water changes with a DOS pump to not swing ALK too fast.

OP
OP
gabesreef

gabesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, did you do a water change with fresh saltwater between alk tests? Your salt mix might have mixed at a higher ALK than what is in your tank. My IO mixes at about 9 DKH, and after letting it set for 2 weeks it measured at 10.1 dkh, i am having to slowly do water changes with a DOS pump to not swing ALK too fast.
no I didn’t do a water change in between. This has been happening for the last 4 water changes. I mix my water and let it mix 24 hours before I put it in the tank i test the water change water and it’s 7.8 or 8. Then I do my water change and a few hours latter I’ll test. Last time it was like 8.3. Then a week latter I test and it’s goes up in this case my tank is sitting at 8.7. Nothing has gone into the tank and I have my auto top off so water isn’t evaporating or anything. I’m confused. Been reefing for about 4 years this has never happened.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to consider, just in case it has not been factored in. If it has, then disregard.
How is your fresh water replenishment rate to compensate for evaporation? If there has not been enough fresh water added, then the salinity of the tank's water may be getting slowly concentrated. Just make sure if using a refractometer that it has been calibrated often to utilize accurate info in making parameter adjustments.
Hope it gets figured out and good luck. :)

OP
OP
gabesreef

gabesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to consider, just in case it has not been factored in. If it has, then disregard.
How is your fresh water replenishment rate to compensate for evaporation? If there has not been enough fresh water added, then the salinity of the tank's water may be getting slowly concentrated. Just make sure if using a refractometer that it has been calibrated often to utilize accurate info in making parameter adjustments.
Hope it gets figured out and good luck. :)
Yes my auto top off is working fine so I don’t think this is an issue I checked just in case and the water is sitting at 1.025 which is perfect. Thanks for the suggestion:)

OP
OP
gabesreef

gabesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have an accurate way of testing po4, Since my salifert ran out. But my API test kit says it’s low and no algae issues. I have a massive ball of cheato in the sump so I’m sure I’m okay haha. Honestly calcium and magnesium I haven’t checked in a while. I learned a while ago that everything follows alkalinity and typically they are a reflection of one another. But I would say 440 calcium and 1310 magnesium. Last time I checked was 1.5 months ago.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand Alk test kit? Are you adding any pH buffers? Besides water changes, what else do you add to the tank?

OP
OP
gabesreef

gabesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No kalk no dosing whatsoever. Replenishment via 10g water changes only once a week. I have floss, cheato and a skimmer. I add microbackter7 once a week nothing else goes into the tank.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if there's no kalkwasser being dosed no 2 part being dosed with everything else you say I am stumped unless it's a false reading from a test kits test kit not being performed accurately or salt mix not being mixed accurately not accusing you of any of these things just don't know what else it could be

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna checker for alk

How do you fill the cuvette? With a 10ml syringe, or rely on the line on the cuvette? Do you draw the reagent to the 1ml mark with no reagent in the syringe, only in the applicator tip? Do you wipe the cuvette when handling it to remove fingerprints? And is this the same reagent for all these tests or different reagent bottles?

Back