Why is my calcium increasing? …at 544 now

crazyclownlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My calcium is increasing and I don’t know why.

Changes lately:
- i have recently dosed ruby reef rally to the tank for 3 days according to the bottle. Last dose was 4 days ago.
- i have recently switched from red coral pro salt to fritz reef pro mix because i wanted a salt with lower alkalinity.
- Since switching salts about a week ago, I have been doing 10%/day water changes because i have needed to take water from the DT to give my fish baths.

My water parameters are attached. The alkalinity seems to have stabilized around 10 dhk but calcium keeps going up.

should I be concerned?

03516664-9331-4911-B5AC-A3B6CF113FAF.png

OP
OP
crazyclownlady

crazyclownlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested some freshly mixed salt water and I am not happy with the results.

fritz reef pro mix:
1.026 salinity
7.8 dkh
514 calcium

all 3 tested with hannah, doublechecked salinity with refractometer.

here are the ‘advertised’ parameters:
Salinity 35 ppt (1.0264 sg) Calcium 400-450 ppm Magnesium 1350-1450 ppm Alkalinity 8.0 - 9.0 dKH Strontium 9 ppm Potassium 400 ppm.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people on here recommend testing salt with each batch you mix up for just this reason. A calcium that high shouldn't cause many problems other than increased precipitation on equipment. But good thing it was alkalinity or trace metal that was sky high. Might also want to shake the box/bucket really well as separation can also occur in the salt where the beginning of the bucket is not the same parameters as the end.

OP
OP
crazyclownlady

crazyclownlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people on here recommend testing salt with each batch you mix up for just this reason. A calcium that high shouldn't cause many problems other than increased precipitation on equipment. But good thing it was alkalinity or trace metal that was sky high. Might also want to shake the box/bucket really well as separation can also occur in the salt where the beginning of the bucket is not the same parameters as the end.
Thanks for your input. I will be shaking up this bucket of salt and also testing the mix going forward.

OP
OP
crazyclownlady

crazyclownlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the hanna checker. I also tried salifert but its off the charts. I also have an API test but I didn’t try that one. Is it worth a try?

i was using the hanna checker pippette incorrectly for my last couple readings. Ooops! I was pushing it down all the way and therefore collecting too much sample water for the test. It clearly says in the instructions how to use it, but i didn’t pay attention

Sorry for wasting peoples time.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was using the hanna checker pippette incorrectly for my last couple readings. Ooops! I was pushing it down all the way and therefore collecting too much sample water for the test. It clearly says in the instructions how to use it, but i didn’t pay attention

Sorry for wasting peoples time.
Never a waste of time. At least you found the problem!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back