Why is my Magnesium over1600?

Particle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually... related question: could super high mag be p*ssing off my euphyllias? I have other corals that are perfectly happy and growing - acans, mushrooms, monti cap, and more. But my euphyllia have been getting slowly less and less happy over the past few months - both hammer and frogspawn.

OP
OP
LardLad

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Particle...great points.
I'm wondering similar things. In fact this is kind of how this all came up. My tank is vibrant and thriving my fish look plump and amazing my clean up crew is Super Active and my corals are fat and sassy....
.... except for I have repeatedly murdered GSP and can't seem to keep it alive. They look great when they come home from the lfs but now are retracted and the tips turn black then die in a couple of weeks. My water params her perfect and stable temp and salinity are perfect. So I was trying to rule out iodine and magnesium when I discovered the problem......
I think I might call Red Sea this week and pick some brains.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 thing could be how much of your container you are using per mix and how the minerals etc in the container have settled/dispersed after production/during shipping ...

One thing I've learned about ALL salt mixes is that most need to be thoroughly mixed if you're not going to use the whole container in one go. During shipping with vibration and such, heavier stuff can/will settle lower in the bucket/bag. This I've found is evident when the top of a bucket is very powdery.
If you are having inconsistency issues with whatever you use and are not planning on using the whole container in 1 go, roll the bucket for 5 mins to mix it well - do whatever you need to mix well that bag of salt - before you open it.

I've been using IO Regular for over 7 years and, ya, I've had a couple batches that were well over 1600 Mg, but it's not very common. Over 40 buckets used so far and mostly they are within a reasonable range.

OP
OP
LardLad

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 thing could be how much of your container you are using per mix and how the minerals etc in the container have settled/dispersed after production/during shipping ...

One thing I've learned about ALL salt mixes is that most need to be thoroughly mixed if you're not going to use the whole container in one go. During shipping with vibration and such, heavier stuff can/will settle lower in the bucket/bag. This I've found is evident when the top of a bucket is very powdery.
If you are having inconsistency issues with whatever you use and are not planning on using the whole container in 1 go, roll the bucket for 5 mins to mix it well - do whatever you need to mix well that bag of salt - before you open it.

I've been using IO Regular for over 7 years and, ya, I've had a couple batches that were well over 1600 Mg, but it's not very common. Over 40 buckets used so far and mostly they are within a reasonable range.
Thanks for your insight...
Never thought of that.

Particle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know what they say! Interesting re: GSP, that's one of the easier softies... as are euphyllia for LPS.

Particle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought to mix a bucket either... with a 20g tank I have a 70lb bag of salt, it's gonna take awhile to go through that.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your insight...
Never thought of that.
You're welcome.
My tank has a large amount of SPS, so I test my newly mixed salt water before adding to my tank. I prefer to know what swings will happen ahead of time and deal with them accordingly.

FYI, high Mag is not a big issue. If you have corals, it will 'eventually' drop on it's own.
If you really want to drop it with water changes, consider a bucket of Red Sea Blue Bucket.
Params are listed on the bucket.
Take the frustratingly inconvenient bag out of the bucket, open it into the bucket, and roll it around the floor to mix it well before use. Or try to mix the bag somehow without opening it.
Be aware the lid has no gasket so it will most likely leak on your floor :oops:

And test your new water before you add it to your tank. Nothing like knowing what's going into your DT :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back