Why is my saltwater mixing station cloudy?

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
After many years I decided to part way with the brute cans and move forward to some nice water holding tanks to have a cleaner nicer look while in the fish room. Well I finally got it all together and filled the tanks up and upon mixing up some salt it seemed to be nice and clear but now that it’s been circulating for about a week now the water is incredibly cloud. First pic will be the full set up, second pic with be inside fresh ro tank and the third pic will be inside the saltwater tank. No sure what it could be so hopefully someone else has experienced this and can tell me what it could be

Not that I’m sure it matters but I also use HW salt and have used that salt the last year

IMG_5777.jpeg IMG_5778.jpeg IMG_5779.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Likely precipitation from salt mix. Assure your water flow used is strong/strong enough. My water always crystal clear in the poly tank

OP
OP
Reefing.with.Rich

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Likely precipitation from salt mix. Assure your water flow used is strong/strong enough. My water always crystal clear in the poly tank
I have my Sicce 9.0 running 24/7 at 5% just to have a constant circulation
Are you saying I should run the flow higher and it will stop said precipitation?
I’d also assume this water is pretty well a waste and should drain it and refill it?

Also do you heat your tank?
Mine is in my basement and without heat it’s around 60-62 degrees or so

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have my Sicce 9.0 running 24/7 at 5% just to have a constant circulation
Are you saying I should run the flow higher and it will stop said precipitation?
I’d also assume this water is pretty well a waste and should drain it and refill it?

Also do you heat your tank?
Mine is in my basement and without heat it’s around 60-62 degrees or so
I have a heater yes (see pic - In center of cap_ and increase flow to fully desolve elements and salt

1701912862661.png

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you usually mix that salt for that period of time? Some salts will precipitate calcium carbonate when over mixed.

OP
OP
Reefing.with.Rich

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Do you usually mix that salt for that period of time? Some salts will precipitate calcium carbonate when over mixed.
Ever since iv used the brutes iv always had a pump in the tub to constantly mix and the tanks always had water at all times and it was constantly heated and mixed and never had a problem until i switched over to the larger water holding tanks

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine gets like that on occasion when i dump too much salt too fast into my container. most likely just Ca precipitated out. I've never tried it but i've read that a bottle of carbonated water added would clear it up but not sure i would want to add CO2 to my mixing container.

OP
OP
Reefing.with.Rich

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
mine gets like that on occasion when i dump too much salt too fast into my container. most likely just Ca precipitated out. I've never tried it but i've read that a bottle of carbonated water added would clear it up but not sure i would want to add CO2 to my mixing container.
Yeah I added a bunch of salt at once so that very well could be it. I may just dump the tank and start new and add salt slower

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welp 24 hours later with much higher flow and it’s still cloudy and almost has a scent to the warer(no idea what to compare it too)
Give it a couple of days to fully mix especially if a bunch was added as I add several cups over 2 days

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine gets like that when flow is to strong and surface water is churning. I run a low flow pump now with coral pro salt and crystal clear.

OP
OP
Reefing.with.Rich

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Give it a couple of days to fully mix especially if a bunch was added as I add several cups over 2 days
Well that’s the thing..
I mixed this stuff up like a week ago and it was clear and then ended up getting cloudy the other day when I checked it.
But it’s also too late lol
I just drained the whole tank and spraying it all down with ro water and going to just retry

OP
OP
Reefing.with.Rich

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Mine gets like that when flow is to strong and surface water is churning. I run a low flow pump now with coral pro salt and crystal clear.
See I was running high circulating flow to mix the salt and then turned it the slow flow just to keep it circulating

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I was running high circulating flow to mix the salt and then turned it the slow flow just to keep it circulating
My small pump went out so I bought a new more powerful one and all my subsequent mixes were cloudy. I changed to a small pump low flow and salt mixes crystal clear again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back