Why is my skimmer Exploding on me???

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

A cpl of weeks ago I noticed some cyano just starting to grow in a cpl of places on my rockwork. I think this started possibly bc I changed my usual type of phytoplankton from one brand to the other and also might have been over feeding a bit for my copepods. Bc 2 weeks afta that is when I noticed the cyano. So to prevent it from spreading everywhere I dosed cyano Rx and it worked really really well. After a about 2-3 days when it was completely gone I followed the instructions and did a water change and added carbon again. But ever since then I haven't been able to turn oh my skimmer without it turning into Mt. Vesuvius in my sump. I even pulled out the stopper and let it run for a while w the setting on totally open. I let a few days more go by while I was away and tried again with the same result. What am I doing wrong or how can I turn my skimmer back on?? Help. Lol

20210521_011208.jpg

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously you still have some CyanoRX in the water column.

I would suggest you run the Skimmer 100% full out and let the overflow foam overspill right back into the sump.

I'd put on socks and change those daily

I'd still do a 10% WC twice a week until foam majorly subsides.

HTH

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, that's what I was doing in the pic and I let it just overflow into sump all last night hoping that it would subside a little but nope. I just did another 20% water change 2 days ago and don't kno if I want to do another right away bc I just added a few new corals that I would like to settle in first. But I just hate not having my sump on for so long. U suggest putting a sock under the over flow foam? Idk how I would get it to stay on there but that might work. There were lots of micro bubbles flying around inside my DT as well which idk would be good to have running all day and night again. But anything to help I will try.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
did you change out the carbon again?? it will leach once absorbed

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attach a tube to the skimmer drain and put it into a bucket. Switch on slimmer and let it explode. It is removing the Cyano Rx.
While you are doing this turn off your ATO and refill with saltwater to keep your salinity correct.
Gradually adjust your skimmer back to normal as it settles down.
It will take a few hours but then it will be over with.
I use Chemiclean but it is probably the same stuff.
2020070109512572-5340147070973387617-IMG_2749_heic-L.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say, “Live and learn,” right? Now the next time you use a Cyno product, you’ll know exactly what to expect— so this experience is a good one. (And as @WVNed says, if you are able to hook up a tube to your skimmer— assuming your skimmer has a plug/port for tubing, just let it rip.) Best wishes!

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with the product you used but on my system with Chemiclean it takes about as much saltwater as a 20% water change to do this. I do it first though. You have already done one water change so I expect you would need a little less.
Just think of it as doing a water change slowly through your skimmer.

richarddeweerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @WVNed says. Do a water change and use your skimmer to remove the water from the tank. Set your skimmer to the lowest (exit valve full open.) and you can even physically raise it a bit in the sump.

For me it took half a week or so, and i used even less than half the dose of Cyano RX

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start with the skimmer fully open and at normal water depth. But I slowly close it back to normal settings. It resumes exploding each time you close it a bit more which is what you want. I like to get it over with.

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attach a tube to the skimmer drain and put it into a bucket. Switch on slimmer and let it explode. It is removing the Cyano Rx.
While you are doing this turn off your ATO and refill with saltwater to keep your salinity correct.
Gradually adjust your skimmer back to normal as it settles down.
It will take a few hours but then it will be over with.
I use Chemiclean but it is probably the same stuff.
2020070109512572-5340147070973387617-IMG_2749_heic-L.jpg
I am in awe of this entire picture :oops: I dont.thinl I have all.the equipment for this setup but could I do the filter sock over the overflow drain?? I replaced the carbon yesterday and did another 20% water change so I hope that helps out too. Leason def learned and will never use the full amount recommended. Half would of def been enough. U live u learn lol

its Bez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

A cpl of weeks ago I noticed some cyano just starting to grow in a cpl of places on my rockwork. I think this started possibly bc I changed my usual type of phytoplankton from one brand to the other and also might have been over feeding a bit for my copepods. Bc 2 weeks afta that is when I noticed the cyano. So to prevent it from spreading everywhere I dosed cyano Rx and it worked really really well. After a about 2-3 days when it was completely gone I followed the instructions and did a water change and added carbon again. But ever since then I haven't been able to turn oh my skimmer without it turning into Mt. Vesuvius in my sump. I even pulled out the stopper and let it run for a while w the setting on totally open. I let a few days more go by while I was away and tried again with the same result. What am I doing wrong or how can I turn my skimmer back on?? Help. Lol

20210521_011208.jpg
I’m not sure how old this topic has been going on but I’m sure the original post is all sorted now, however, here’s what I did, and it worked really well.
I firstly let the treatment do its thing (& yes cyano RX worked for me plus I under dosed by half what was recommended, my cyano issue was pretty bad. Could cope with looking at it no more) I left it 4 days then all the red cyano was completely gone throughout I left my skimmer on but just returning in to my sump through the drain to oxygenate the water and maintain my PH.
When it came to my water change on day 5 I simply let the skimmer drain in to an empty bucket it started to slow down throughout the water change and I had to move it from the lowest setting progressively up. Effectively I guess skimmed out the treatment during the water change. Yes it took me a tad longer to do but it worked. When I’d finished my skimmer was right back to its normal position & functioning as it did prior to the treatment.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back