Why is my union leaking?

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E30FCF02-83E8-4BEC-A210-70741B079E53.jpeg
In my return, I have a union that is leaking badly. I’m testing the tank and plumbing for leaks currently, and this is really leaking. It’s against a wall, so I can’t get a great grip to tighten it, but I think it’s tight enough it shouldn’t leak like this. I know the angle was a bit off, the pipes didn’t line up exactly, I used a pipe strap to pull it in line.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a mis thread, or check the o ring to ensure it's seated properly. Also check for debris on the ring or a gouge in the surface between the two (it should be smoth. The last thing is it may not be leaking from the union but the connection to the pipe. Last resort, replace the entire union.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull the o-ring and coat with food grade silicone/plumbing lubricant and then reinstall.

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) o ring cut/pinches/ missing
2) crossthreaded

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have suggested, make sure the O ring is in there and lined up the way it should be, also make sure there isn't any cracks in the housings that is allowing water to bypass or cross threaded. Hope this helps :)

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the simple solution is the answer, lol. Glad it worked out :)
Haha right. Like I said it’s right against a wall, so I can’t get a great grip. Pretty much grabbing at 12 and 6. If you can’t picture it, when grabbing a union with nothing behind it, my fingers land at about 8 and 10.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back