Why is shipping so expensive?

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I mean by that is, I noticed that people typically charge 30-50 dollars to ship overnight but when I go on fedex its closer to 70-100. Are people who sell corals paying for a portion of the price or am I just missing something?

NeSsyAqua

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using shipnex, but recently got recommended to FINISHIP, check them out on facebook. and sometimes I pay for a portion of the price.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They setup contracts with FedEx
Even the average seller? The other day just some random guy was selling a SPS frag pack for x amount with 30 for shipping (it was within the same state). Just seems wierd to me lol

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Drastic price difference with finship! How/who do they ship with? Are they their own thing or are they partnered with fedex, ups, ect?

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah average seller not sure because of the ridiculous prices. My guess then is eat some of it or use alternative like finiship. Don't know myself yet because need to get my frags to colonies first lol!

NeSsyAqua

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Drastic price difference with finship! How/who do they ship with? Are they their own thing or are they partnered with fedex, ups, ect?
FEDEX and I believed they have their own account with fedex. Idk how the acc thing works with fedex tho lol, I just know you'll get better prices with them lol

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is shipping so expensive? The shipping companies operate an unethical scam of a business model, and no one stops them.

When Joe Schmoe walks into FedEx to mail a box, they charge him $90.
Then John Smith walks in, and they charge him $90.
There are a lot of John Smiths and Joe Schmoes in the world. This is where FedEx makes their money.

Then Big Company X walks in a package and FedEx charges them $25, to ship a box exactly the same size and weight as Joe and John's boxes. The FedEx and Company X employee smile knowingly at each other as he walks out.

FedEx lost money on that package, but thats OK, because they made so much on all the Joe Schmoes that they still come out ahead.

And thats how we got to a place where large companies pay very little for shipping while individuals face absurdly overpriced shipping costs.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is shipping so expensive? The shipping companies operate an unethical scam of a business model, and no one stops them.

When Joe Schmoe walks into FedEx to mail a box, they charge him $90.
Then John Smith walks in, and they charge him $90.
There are a lot of John Smiths and Joe Schmoes in the world. This is where FedEx makes their money.

Then Big Company X walks in a package and FedEx charges them $25, to ship a box exactly the same size and weight as Joe and John's boxes. The FedEx and Company X employee smile knowingly at each other as he walks out.

FedEx lost money on that package, but thats OK, because they made so much on all the Joe Schmoes that they still come out ahead.

And thats how we got to a place where large companies pay very little for shipping while individuals face absurdly overpriced shipping costs.

This is so true!! I set up an account with Fedex to ship some corals to an R2R member for free just to make some room in my tank. Fedex quoted $140 for overnight shipping for a small, 8 pound box. I had expected to pay $40 since that's what vendors charge when I buy coral online. Definitely a rude awakening!! So I shipped them 2-day delivery for $36. The corals arrived alive except for some mushrooms that probably didn't have enough water in the bag.

Sad situation for sure!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah average seller not sure because of the ridiculous prices. My guess then is eat some of it or use alternative like finiship. Don't know myself yet because need to get my frags to colonies first lol!

Companies like Shipnex and FINISHIP give the average person access to bulk discounts shippers offer to larger volume shippers/companies. As a company the more you ship, the cheaper it is. Shipnex and FINISHIP are basically the middleman offering low volume shippers the same discounts because they have a large volume of low volume shippers. If that all makes sense :)

Back