Why is shipping so expensive?

F4TALREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Companies like Shipnex and FINISHIP give the average person access to bulk discounts shippers offer to larger volume shippers/companies. As a company the more you ship, the cheaper it is. Shipnex and FINISHIP are basically the middleman offering low volume shippers the same discounts because they have a large volume of low volume shippers. If that all makes sense :)
capitalism at its finest lol

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, man. Reading through this makes me realize that people don't know what they're talking about when it comes to how business works. Joe Schmoe pays $90 once or twice a year when shipping something out. Someone like WWC who ships out thousands of packages a month gets a discount because they would be out of business if they didn't get a discount. Would you rather, as a consumer, be charged $90 for shipping whenever you purchased something? Where the average guy pays a few hundred bucks a year, a business pays hundreds of thousands of dollars. It's the same idea as bulk pricing. You pay less per unit when you buy more. That's not robbery, it's how business is done. What else would you expect when your package has to be driven to an airport by an employee driving a truck that has insurance on it and gas being used, loaded at an airport by another worker who gets an hourly wage and benefits, then put onto a plane that has a pilot that gets paid a hefty wage and benefits (not to mention the cost of fuel and maintenance on a plane), then unloaded by someone at another airport who gets paid, gets driven to a distribution center that has a few employees unloading and sorting, and then driven directly to your house by another person who gets paid wages and benefits? It doesn't sound so bad that you're paying $90 when you rarely ship out and a package has to go 3,000 miles in 16-20 hours.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back