why is so little known by hobbyist about 80+ strains of bacteria

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing I ever did, was on a trip to Florida, I brought back Uncured Live Rock. The Rock had never really left the water, it constantly had water poured over it while it was on the boat. I brought it back in buckets, with the Big Bubbles Air Pumps running on the buckets. I still have two of the pumps, the other two were loaned out and I never got them back. I still have that live rock, don’t remember exactly when I got it, but it was over 15 years ago.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing I ever did, was on a trip to Florida, I brought back Uncured Live Rock. The Rock had never really left the water, it constantly had water poured over it while it was on the boat. I brought it back in buckets, with the Big Bubbles Air Pumps running on the buckets. I still have two of the pumps, the other two were loaned out and I never got them back. I still have that live rock, don’t remember exactly when I got it, but it was over 15 years ago.

Its Me Yes GIF by Tristen J. Winger

Original poster here...

Quote above in a roundabout way is why I posted this discussion.... that we rarely add anything to our tanks that is directly sourced from Mother Nature.

It seems most live rock and substrate comes from God knows where, from another tank that got it from another, and so on and so on.

Where's the Mother Nature LINEAGE of Live bacteria in YOUR TANK?

How far removed from Mother Nature is your tank? 3 tanks away? Half dozen? A dozen?

The guy said what he said about having 80-120ish strains of bacteria.... and that it (IN HIS UNFOUNDED UNRESEARCHED OPINION) having that range of 80-120ish family of bacteria TENDS (not guaranteed) to promote healthier corals.

Look at my original words: "said a successful reef tank has a lot to do with 1) cultivating 80+ strains of bacteria over SEVERAL cycles/months, and 2) continual cultivating of these bacterial strains cycle to cycle"

"Has a lot to do" does not equal "is absolutely needed or REQUIRED"

"Successful reef tank" would = a tank that is sustainably thriving and corals are not stagnant in growth/color or slowly dying over a years time.

I swear, I need a staff of technical writers and lawyers to phrase things in the exact wording so some ppl don't jump on my words like a Lion on a Antelope carcass.

But... its all good. It makes for varying opinions so we can see a spectrum of thoughts and come to our own individual conclusions

Last edited:

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@zoa what

Do you dose trace elements? Have you gotten an ICP test?

Maybe your zoas aren’t growing because you are lacking in trace elements.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an example of the barest input of bacteria possible in a home setting growing corals excellently

only to show variance in outcomes and association. I believe this is the most restrictive one could be on bac import / controlled against diverse additions other than what rode in on corals, snail shells etc. Shows the polar opposite method producing a fine fine reef

where we are trained to buy more strains, diversify, he did the polar opposite from day one. it was neat to see that tank graduate into a bigger better one using bacterial restriction vs boosting

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy said what he said about having 80-120ish strains of bacteria.... and that it (IN HIS UNFOUNDED UNRESEARCHED OPINION) having that range of 80-120ish family of bacteria TENDS (not guaranteed) to promote healthier corals.

Look at my original words: "said a successful reef tank has a lot to do with 1) cultivating 80+ strains of bacteria over SEVERAL cycles/months, and 2) continual cultivating of these bacterial strains cycle to cycle"

"Has a lot to do" does not equal "is absolutely needed or REQUIRED"

"Successful reef tank" would = a tank that is sustainably thriving and corals are not stagnant in growth/color or slowly dying over a years time.

I swear, I need a staff of technical writers and lawyers to phrase things in the exact wording so some ppl don't jump on my words like a Lion on a Antelope carcass.

Uh, no. Both was of writing the same opinion seem like wild, unsubstantiated speculation that no one should accept as true without any evidence.

Did he suggest what that evidence was? Of course not.

If we rewrite it again to read be less wildly speculative:

"said a successful reef tank has a lot to do with bacteria that can take a long time to fully develop"

then it may or may not be true, but folks can recognize it as an opinion and ask: what is the evidence?

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, no. Both was of writing the same opinion seem like wild, unsubstantiated speculation that no one should accept as true without any evidence.

Did he suggest what that evidence was? Of course not.

If we rewrite it again to read be less wildly speculative:

"said a successful reef tank has a lot to do with bacteria that can take a long time to fully develop"

then it may or may not be true, but folks can recognize it as an opinion and ask: what is the evidence?
Wild, unsubstantiated speculation? Plz don't murder the Messenger, Caesar. Lol

I'm just conveying what was shared with me. Guess I should have taken what was shared with me and folded it nicely into my breast pocket unshared.

BTW it came from a scientist who was on the team that directly developed oil-spill-eating microbes years and years ago. Am I going to share his name? I wouldn't put him under that kind of r2r-flavored scrutiny tbh....

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't murder the messager, Caesar.

I'm just conveying what was shared with me.

BTW it came from a scientist who was on the team that directly developed oil-spill-eating microbes years and years ago. Am I going to share his name? I wouldn't put him under that kind of r2r-flavored scrutiny tbh....

lol

If you ask him privately, I'm expect he will admit that that there's not much evidence of what bacterial species are needed to have a great reef tank. There isn't even agreement on what a reef tank is or what makes one great. The species needed in a soft coral and macroalgae tank may be very different than in an NPS tank or a SPS tank using ultra low inorganic nutrients and organic compounds. Undoubtedly these will have differences in bacterial species abundances.

He was probably just essentially saying that the web of bacterial species and process in the ocean is large and complex. I can certainly accept that, and I couldn't reject the notion that it also evolves over the lifetime of a reef tank.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was probably just essentially saying that the web of bacterial species and process in the ocean is large and complex. I can certainly accept that, and I couldn't reject the notion that it also evolves over the lifetime of a reef tank.
Not sure if his comments where more of an entertaining thought over scientific content or not... since it was during a BS water cooler discussion

But YES I agree with what is bolded above.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I'm just conveying what was shared with me. Guess I should have taken what was shared with me and folded it nicely into my breast pocket unshared.

I am sorry if it seemed like I 'ripped apart your words' - I'm surprised how many people just jumped on the bandwagon agreeing with you, in all honesty. All anyone else is doing is sharing their opinion, Right?

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry if it seemed like I 'ripped apart your words' - I'm surprised how many people just jumped on the bandwagon agreeing with you, in all honesty. All anyone else is doing is sharing their opinion, Right?
It's all good. Just an open discussion about a topic not fully understood

And I guess that was my ENDGAME... to point out that little is known about the forces of bacteria

I've often wonder why two nearly identical tanks can be so different. One thriving and one stagnant.... bacteria??? Hmmmmm.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brutus was the murderer, and a few others :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last edited by a moderator:

TiggMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are everyone's thoughts on replenishing bacteria by using the Aquaforest Life Force? Mud from the ocean. I have never used it, but I did just order some.

Back