• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Zooxanthellae Blend / Purple Non Sulphur Bacteria (Trial Run)

Item Price
$20
Selling Terms Of Service
  1. YES I have read the terms and agree to them
Buyer Protection
  1. YES I agree and I understand that as a seller I may not ask for payment through platforms that do not offer buyer’s protection.
Shipping
YES shipping is available

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0009 (1).jpg

Symbiodinium (zooxanthellae) extracted from a E. quadricolor and T. Squamosa respectively. Cultured in much the same manner as phytoplankton. These dinoflagellates live symbiotically within corals.

- recover coral bleaching
- alternative microalgae feed
- corals are a bit more receptive to zooxanthellae in the water column than phytoplankton.

$20 per 16 oz

pnsb wowo.jpg

Purple Non Sulphur Bacteria originally used in larivculture application but has now been adopted for use in aquaria. Testing identified the strain in culture as Rhodopseudomonas palustris. I culture it for use in my zooplankton cultivation and have had resounding success in improving yields.

- food for bacterivores
- diversify biofilter
- overall probiotic

$20 per 16 oz

Shipping: Can ship up to 4 bottles for $9. Please ask for pricing on larger amounts

hoping to harness the PNSB and zooxanthellae to create a healthier coral gut.

Thank you for taking a look. I am a hobbyist with an interest in aquaculture and would greatly appreciate feedback. I've been testing these products locally in the Pacific Northwest for some time now. These products have been developed locally in the Pacific Northwest and are currently running trials for potential application.

OP
OP
Eatfrenchfries

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can these be used as culture starters as well? Any tips for success?
The zooxanthellae is a blend so your successive cultures would most likely succumb to bacteria and crash. Also the zoochlorellae in the blend reproduces at a faster rate than the actual zooxanthellae.

Advice: - keep an eye on salinity, really can't handle fluctuations
- temp can't be higher than 79. 8F
- shaken is better than bubbles

As for the PNSB. It is very prone to contamination between cultures. In theory it could be used to culture your own but it takes a good deal of effort to keep it pure.

Advice: - get a clean room
- backup backup backup
- quality glass or disposables

OP
OP
Eatfrenchfries

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on your culturing?

Currently working with a lot of hobbyists in the Pacific Northwest on testing. Results have been largely positive.

Cultures still going strong.

Currently maintaining zooxanthellae cultures of e. quadricolor, t. Squamosa, t. Derasa, microadriatica.
Developing culture from t. Crocea mantle extraction (3rd attempt).

So far I have only been able to keep Rhodopseudomonas palustris in successive cultures.
Currently I cannot keep Rhodospirillum rubrum. Possibly my source culture is bad or I am missing a crucial component in the broth.
Working on confirming if my Rhodobacter sphaeroides culture is pure.

Just got a used orbital shaker on Ebay so I'm excited to try it out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back