Why is 'taking it slow' the best way to set up a reef tank?

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know that you have to ensure that the correct bacteria are present during the aquarium cycle but on almost every post asking about stocking or adding something there is almost always a response to 'take it slow' and that things should be done gradually and, more often than not, one at a time. Can someone explain to me why that is the best way forwards?

Surely, in a eco-system like our reef tanks you need a variety of competing organisms early on, to provide balance. I am not suggesting to go mad from day one and fill the tank to its stocking limits but, rather than adding CUC, then waiting for a month and adding one fish, then waiting a month and adding one coral, will the system not be better balanced if you add a little bit of everything at the same time?

I am thinking more about beginner setups with simple fish, basic coral and CUC and not anything that requires an ultra-stable environment such as SPS.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By taking things slow you’re letting nature do it’s thing, adding things deliberately over time limits variables for things to go wrong. Which for new hobbyist is the easiest and most likely route to success while limiting risks. Remember risks are killing livestock which ultimately impacts your wallet as well. All too often I see people leave the hobby within a few months and a tank crash quoting cost as the major reason, mistakes hurt exponentially more the more variables you add.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I set up a new tank I don’t take it slow by any means. I do feel though that as the tank size increases things should definitely be taken a little slower to allow for bacteria to bloom and the overall biosphere to acclimate. The taking it slow notion comes from those not wanting to “shock” their system which is totally valid. Can’t be adding a fish every other day for two weeks. Usually I let the tank sit a few days with rock and sand, then I’ll put in my first fish or two. After a week or two I’ll throw in a zoa frag to see how it does. After that I’ll usually add a fish every couple of weeks until I’m stocked. Corals I usually wait and add a tester piece from each classification before I go wild

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, cycling a tank is a process rather than a definitive point in time. In other words, there’s not really a point where a person can point to their set up and say “this is cycled”. As a tank matures (heck, “cycling” is really just the first step of maturation), the micro fauna that makes up biological filtration will grow and be able to handle more of a bioload.

in other words, when a tank first shows that it can process amonia into nitrite and nitrite, it can hold a small number of fish. But to many fish will cause a crash because the bacteria simply hasn’t reached a population large enough to handle many fish. So you go slow so your biofiltration can keep up with increasing demand

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything we add will affect our tiny little ecosystems in one way or another. Whether cuc, fish, coral etc. I would say an expirenced hobbyist could potentially setup a new tank and fill it to the brim with coral and fish and see success. But this is nearly impossible for someone that doesnt completely understand the entirety of the hobby. Going slow allows you to make adjustments slowly as well, parameters will stay more stable if you go slowly. Adding a lot at once will cause swings and if youre not prepared to act on them immediately it can have drastic effects.

For example:

Adding too many fish at once will often cause increased nutrients and in a new tank even ammonia and nitrites even after the tank has been cycled. You may not have the bacteria populations to handle the increase of ammonia, or have the filtering to handle the increased phosphates.

Adding too many stony corals or clams can cause a pretty quick drop in alk and calcium. If youre not ready for it the drop in them could cause damage to the corals.

There are many other factors as well but these are the 2 most common examples that come to mind. When you add alot, things can get out of hand pretty quick, moreso in smaller tanks.

OP
OP
F

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
But is the notion that you are limiting the chances of things going wrong by going slow correct?

I'm sure it is but in my mind I can't help but think that trying to balance things earlier might be the best recipe for success. There is clearly a lot that I don't know and I am almost 100% sure I am wrong about this but I don't really know why.

A couple of examples:

If I wait until I have an algae issue before adding algae eating CUC will it not be harder to get it under control when it does appear? If I add herbivore CUC before algae is present then some of them might not have any food. If I add CUC and a herbivore fish simultaneously early on (after cycling), and feed the fish with algae flakes/nori would that not be better for the whole system? And the same with meat eating CUC/corals and carnivore fish?

If I wait for some problem (dinos/cyano) to appear and then try to counter that then the fighting mechanism will take a long time to establish itself. Should I not try to build this diversity (by trying to get a more balanced eco system) earlier rather than later? For example, a zero nutrient system would presumably be unlikely with a varied bioload. A completely different scenario but akin to buying a generator before a power failure, rather than waiting to deal with the problem when it arises!

I have asked the fish bioload question before. If I cycle, with a lot of ammonia, then add 1 fish and wait a couple of months, will the bacteria not reduce to support the level of waste produced by that 1 fish? Is it not better to add several fish at the beginning rather than waiting for the bacteria to balance out and then add more fish? This also affects those who QT their fish as, if you are not careful, you can end up with a DT ready to go but the first fish still in QT for another 2 months.

I get the issues with big additions of stony corals and that is a fair point, but newcomers presumably mainly start with more simple corals.

Lots of people appear to be using chemicals to solve problems (and I myself have already started to dose tiny amounts of baking soda to raise alk), but would some of the more aggressive chemicals be less necessary if the tank has more diversity?

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But is the notion that you are limiting the chances of things going wrong by going slow correct?

I'm sure it is but in my mind I can't help but think that trying to balance things earlier might be the best recipe for success. There is clearly a lot that I don't know and I am almost 100% sure I am wrong about this but I don't really know why.

A couple of examples:

If I wait until I have an algae issue before adding algae eating CUC will it not be harder to get it under control when it does appear? If I add herbivore CUC before algae is present then some of them might not have any food. If I add CUC and a herbivore fish simultaneously early on (after cycling), and feed the fish with algae flakes/nori would that not be better for the whole system? And the same with meat eating CUC/corals and carnivore fish?

If I wait for some problem (dinos/cyano) to appear and then try to counter that then the fighting mechanism will take a long time to establish itself. Should I not try to build this diversity (by trying to get a more balanced eco system) earlier rather than later? For example, a zero nutrient system would presumably be unlikely with a varied bioload. A completely different scenario but akin to buying a generator before a power failure, rather than waiting to deal with the problem when it arises!

I have asked the fish bioload question before. If I cycle, with a lot of ammonia, then add 1 fish and wait a couple of months, will the bacteria not reduce to support the level of waste produced by that 1 fish? Is it not better to add several fish at the beginning rather than waiting for the bacteria to balance out and then add more fish? This also affects those who QT their fish as, if you are not careful, you can end up with a DT ready to go but the first fish still in QT for another 2 months.

I get the issues with big additions of stony corals and that is a fair point, but newcomers presumably mainly start with more simple corals.

Lots of people appear to be using chemicals to solve problems (and I myself have already started to dose tiny amounts of baking soda to raise alk), but would some of the more aggressive chemicals be less necessary if the tank has more diversity?
Im not saying dont add much diversity, just dont add alot at once. And just to clarify whats deemed alot or adding too much as once depends on the tank. Adding 1-3 fish at once usually isnt a problem unless its a very small tank. Adding a few corals at once either. But you shouldnt be trying to stock 1/4 of the tank in one go.

Heres my opinion on the examples you provided

1. I highly recommend adding utility fish/cuc early on regardless if you have algae or not. But i wouldnt add alot, or as many as i would recommend if the tank were established. Even with cuc if theres a problem that leads to an algae explosion, youre going to have that algae problem with or without cuc.

2. Dinos and cyano are more of a bacterial imbalance then a bioload issue. Ive seen fully stocked tanks get dinos and tanks not stocked at all. Theres more to these bacterial strains than how quickly a tank is stocked. Just stocking a tank quickly doesnt mean youll get the bacteria you want

3. Youre correct in your thinking here. If you know youve added sufficient amounts of ammonia and have built up a health population of bacteria theres nothing wrong with adding more than one fish. But how many you can add again depends on tank size. I would have no problem throwing 3-4 fish in a 75 gallon to start. Just know the more you add the more you have to watch your nutrient levels

Diversity is for sure a good thing, but you'll see it pretty often that people end up losing more the more they try and add off the bat. If all the precautions are made you can definitely stock a tank quickly but the chances of failure are greater. For instance ive been in the hobby for 20 years and i started a 3rd tank last year. Its a 75g cycled it in a week with biospira, dosed other bacteria, and i added a clown, damsel and cardinal. Monitored levels, saw no rise in ammonia or nitrite and 2 weeks later i added a tang and second cardinal. 1month after starting i added frags from my other tank. I think there were 3 zoas, 2 mushrooms, and a leather coral. Everything grew great. I would not stock the entire tank in the first month, but you can steadily add from there. Heres what it looked like by month 6 even growing sps no problem. I would add new corals every 2-3 weeks
20200519_143707.jpg

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that you have to ensure that the correct bacteria are present during the aquarium cycle but on almost every post asking about stocking or adding something there is almost always a response to 'take it slow' and that things should be done gradually and, more often than not, one at a time. Can someone explain to me why that is the best way forwards?

Surely, in a eco-system like our reef tanks you need a variety of competing organisms early on, to provide balance. I am not suggesting to go mad from day one and fill the tank to its stocking limits but, rather than adding CUC, then waiting for a month and adding one fish, then waiting a month and adding one coral, will the system not be better balanced if you add a little bit of everything at the same time?

I am thinking more about beginner setups with simple fish, basic coral and CUC and not anything that requires an ultra-stable environment such as SPS.
I think this is taking a limited view and understanding of the processes involved in getting a marine tank to a stable platform able to support a diverse piece of the ocean. While you thinking on the aerobic nitrogen bacterial cycle is true here, it does not take into account the algae cycle, The micro fauna cycle, the anaerobic nitrogen cycle, nor the macro bacterial cycle, to name a few. It takes time for one thing to build on the other. I find that every time I attempted to force the issues by loading heavy on the onset, I lost animals and even precipitated a tank crash. Over the years I have developed a slower approach to make my life easier and less stress on the animals.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A new tank is cycled. This may take a few weeks. If nothing is added microorganisms will use what is present. Light will provide the energy for nutrients and building materials to be used up by photo-autotrophs. Biomass is produced, carbon is introduced into the system. The tank walls will turn brownish. At this point, the first discussion may begin, about the quality of seawater mixes. Growth is based on what is present in the water. Is the mix suitable for cycling the tank or must something be added? Do salt mixes contain what is needed? Some salt mixes are better for corals? how? Everything present will be used to build up the first bioload. What is leftover which makes it special?
The brownish will then disappear, growth stops, everything usable is used up, the produced biomass is then remineralized by heterotrophic bacteria, the first autotrophic nitrifiers, bacteria, and archaea, are installed, building materials are returned to the water. A bit of nitrate and phosphate is produced. The first cycle is completed. Both producers and reducers, autotrophs and heterotrophs, are now present. This takes a few days to a few weeks. Then we can start to condition the tank, to prepare the tank for what is coming. To install a certain carrying capacity that may support the coming bioload. Depending on the carrying capacity needed and biofilms that have to develop it may take another 3 to 4 weeks to condition the tank. The diversity of organisms is provided by bringing in a few animals during this period. They bring in all micro-organisms needed for their survival and digest food. Corals and their holobiont may be introduced. Millions of new residents are introduced with them. They all will fight and compete for what is provided. A certain balance will be found. It takes what it needs. Choices have to be made. An LNS or a HIHO system? A mixed reef including SPS or just corals? There is no such thing as an ultra-stable environment in a closed life support system.
We try to keep DOC as low as possible. Active or passive aquarium management, using biofilters or not, skimmer or not.

Nicklepickle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I thought I’d chime in with my opinion. I’m new here with a 3 month old tank. The speed of stocking a new tank is a very difficult judgement. The aim is to add your animals and ‘feed‘ the different micro/macro systems without overloading them or starving them. I personally think the advise to stock slow isn’t great, you should go as slow as you have to to keep water quality correct but as quickly as safely possible. If you stock at the right rate everything stays balanced and nuisance algae etc. gets outcompeted for nutrients. I put 2 damsels in very early but only because I had a very fast, possibly skipped cycle. Once you have fish producing ammonia and therefore nitrate you should stock some easy corals as an export for this nitrate.
When starting a new tank I would definitely advocate the use of live sand or filter media or rock from a happy tank if you can get it. I would also warn against too much CUC too early. I added snails and hermits after my damsels, the tank tested and looked amazing so I added a Lawnmower blenny and cleaner shrimp. This was too many cuc and grazers and combined with a copepod bloom they completely sterilised my tank of food for the Blenny.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole point is to not go too fast and make mistakes that an experienced reefer would not make. This includes a lot of things. To name a few, putting in corals that you will regret later. Putting in fish that are not compatible (with corals or fish or your tank's cycle). Etc.

prospervandale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

no, because when they talk about biodiversity its mostly microfauna. (copepods, amphipods, mysids, feather dusters... than there’s sponges too. I’ve tried what your talking about, and its Pretty much the fastest road to being unsuccessful you could choose. When I threw dry rock in a tank, and cycled with the lights on the tank never got past the ugly stage and I tore it down. you need to let the little bugs populate your tank. While you could keep simple corals like xenia and zoanthids, you’d probably end up with an ugly algae covered tank. Every day you wait in the beginning increases your long term success rate. Eco systems like reefs have 500+ large invertibrates sure, but

prospervandale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, because when they talk about biodiversity its mostly microfauna. (copepods, amphipods, mysids, feather dusters... than there’s sponges too. I’ve tried what your talking about, and its Pretty much the fastest road to being unsuccessful you could choose. When I threw dry rock in a tank, and cycled with the lights on the tank never got past the ugly stage and I tore it down. you need to let the little bugs populate your tank. While you could keep simple corals like xenia and zoanthids, you’d probably end up with an ugly algae covered tank. Every day you wait in the beginning increases your long term success rate. Eco systems like reefs have 500+ large invertibrates sure, but
They have thousands of species of micro fauna, building the base of the food chain.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many changes a tank goes through in the first year and even beyond. Multiple cycles, not just the nitrate/bacteria cycle. Ask anyone who has dealt with the ugly phase or tried to add an anemone to a month old tank. There is a balance that comes from a matured tank.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the most important aspect of the take it slow approach is to teach the beginning reefer discipline. More times then not I read in these forums people asking for help because they thought there was a "dire" problem and overreacted or did not give enough time for a proven method to play out. Nature is not a quick thing, and she only has only one schedule, her own.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If You are starting Your first tank You should take it slow.
If You are upgrading just move everything quick and let it settle. Feed maybe half of what You did before. After 2 weeks You can begin to stock up and feed as before.
When I start a new tank I never go slow because I have live rock in full activity from my other systems. It is just to move some of that and put in some other animals like corals and fishes.
Mny times it can be a hinch of the ugly phases but they are not so intensive and goes much faster. I started a 17 gallon cube for mushrooms last monday ind it is already in the end of the brown phase.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMO when you change something in your tank it is not a single perturbation to the system. It creates an oscillatory change where the variable is going to rise, then fall, then rise, then fall until it comes to some equilibrium with the system as a whole. If you introduce too many changes it may cause some harmonic where the tank goes into a catastrophic condition of imbalance.

So best to change one thing, let the oscillation settle, then in this new stable environment change a different thing.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noobs speak a lot about if their tank is cycled or not. That doesn't mean much. It just means that your tank has enough bacteria in it to process that dead shrimp you added or little bit of ammonia.
A tank is never cycled and it fluctuates constantly depending on bio load.

But the reason it takes so much time is because it is not only about bacteria. It is also about how many different types of bacteria you have as in time some will out compete other types.

That also takes time, probably years because bacteria are also preyed upon by viruses and fungus's.
Different viruses in your tank will also affect your bacteria populations.
Bacteria and viruses also prey on parasites and if you added any livestock, you also added parasites some of which are benign to fish and may only live on copepods which are also affected by these things.

Algae, micro, macro, cyano and sponges are also in the equation. Eventually (years) all these competitors will live in harmony and settle down giving you a stable tank. Unless you do something stupid like adding a medication like an antibiotic as that will short circuit the process.

Every fish or coral you add brings new viruses, bacteria, sponges, algae, parasites which can affect this ballance.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These 100 reefs don’t have any delay at the start. the rocks are as ready and stable as they’ll ever be within minutes of setting them into a new tank, so maturity follows the substrate.

this thread tracks the fastest possible starts in reefing and by extension, reef convention management.

the rate of fish stocking in these tanks isn’t limited by the cycle nor would be any corals or anemones added. This doesn’t mean the new animals will live if the reefer can’t keep stable levels but it means all the pods, microfauna, and certainly cycle bac are simply ready any time they’re moved to a new tank, indefinitely. Not every start is a wait, being exact is better than being guarded all the time, that leads to lfs getting your hesitation money by not being exactly certain of the trajectory of the tank. per above that is a hesitation-free thread of instant starts and no doom. Literally nothing bad is happening for years at least there.

one reefer would be able to keep anemones in any startup tank there, and another one wouldn’t. The difference is the keeper not the readiness of the tank. Going slow is meant for personal growth it doesn’t make this kind of reef any more stable or likely to succeed. those two different reefers will also guide these systems into totally different invasion balances just the same by technique, all had a clean even start.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back