why is there no wc pause on the 3155

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think that through completely, a water change may take 15 minutes on a small tank or a couple hours on a large tank. You are already switching off or unplugging your return pumps, skimmer, etc. There is no practical way to implement a water change pause and any additional switches or buttons are a failure point.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think that through completely, a water change may take 15 minutes on a small tank or a couple hours on a large tank. You are already switching off or unplugging your return pumps, skimmer, etc. There is no practical way to implement a water change pause and any additional switches or buttons are a failure point.
There is a pause..unplug it.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, not practical since the length of the WC can vary. I accomplish this though by using Kasa Smart strips whereby I select a scene which turns off all electronics in my sump including the ATO, except for the separate pump that pumps out 40+ gals. When done, I select another scene which pumps 40 gals of FSW back into the sump and then the final scene which turns everything back on.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DJ power strip. If I want something off I hit the corresponding switch.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The issue isn’t really the water change pause itself, but the fact that if you unplug it and turn it back on it runs for 15 seconds, which can be a pain for smaller tanks.

I know this has been asked before and the answer has been that we should be using the 3152 for Nanos but the 3152 is much better, other than for this quirk. It is a shame there isn’t a jumper option to disable it.

I know Tunze is working on a new ATO, but if they could just fix this quirk, the 3155 would be perfect as it is.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think is necessary but if they can somehow make it more reliable that be great.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue isn’t really the water change pause itself, but the fact that if you unplug it and turn it back on it runs for 15 seconds, which can be a pain for smaller tanks.

I know this has been asked before and the answer has been that we should be using the 3152 for Nanos but the 3152 is much better, other than for this quirk. It is a shame there isn’t a jumper option to disable it.

I know Tunze is working on a new ATO, but if they could just fix this quirk, the 3155 would be perfect as it is.
I think the bigger issue is forgetting to plug it back in. the 10 seconds of water flow should be 15 minutes of evaporation and shouldnt not cause a problem or concern..just not that much water to affect the salinity.

OP
OP
ChiCity

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

this

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a smaller system, the best solution is to first try turning down the pump speed inside the controller, this is a user setting and when set to nano that 15 second run is about a half cup of water. If this is a system under 30 gallons, you can restrict the flow further by adding a Two Little Fishies Microvalve to the end of the hose and turn the flow down as needed.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The 15 secs might not seem a lot but it is still unnecessary for me. I am already maxing out my Nano with Kalk so the water level always runs quite high as it is. I also have a hood so evaporation is relatively low.

It doesn't just happen on water changes, it happens every time I need to turn it off for maintenance, which could be 2 or 3 times a week. It's not a big deal, but a simple jumper option to disable it would make it perfect. I'm sure it might have some benefit in big systems and there must be a reason for it, but I can't find a purpose for it on a Nano and would like to be able to turn it off.

However, that said, I'd still rather put up with this than switch to the 3152 (which I do use in my second Nano).

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 132 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.5%
Back