Why is this hobby so difficult.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a a wide variety of corals. Sps acros to zoas. Only invert are a few snails.

I will say tank looks good just want tank to be stable.
Zoas won’t really need the trace elements however your acros do. Anything with a Stone-like Skeleton will want those trace elements to built it. I don’t believe Snails use much of the elements to grow however I’m sure they will use some of it to grow their shell with them.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's difficult because the powers that be want it that way..so they can sell more gizmos to fix your reef issues , more supplements, more controllers and other high end stuff you really dont need..
NNR and the Jaubert plenum were bashed for yrs because they provided a simple , stable and almost bulletproof way to run a reef..without needing any of that crap

Last edited:

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where my nitrates were but they just keep going down. Like where are they going. I even pulled half my cheato out.
I used to run 4-5 nitrates and po4 around .05. Now I dose for 15 nitrates and po4 under .03. Switched a month ago and corals seem a little happier. Too nervouse to try 25 I think.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is also important to remember that everyone has achieved their version of success much differently. One thing I have learned is you will get the full spectrum here, people who use no filtration, to people who have every gadget you can think of for example. I try to pick one person, or a small handful of people who have shown success that I aspire to (pictures are the best way to see if someone is at a place where you want to go) and then focus on their advice.
'There's more than one way to skin a cat'

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have so many diatoms that I can clean my glass twice a day. It's fine and everything in this hobby runs in cycles. Eventually the diatom cycle will end and you may get an infestation of Godzilla larvae. :anguished-face:

But as long as you don't add anything, test anything, or remove anything, it will go away on it's own. :)

Have a great day

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back