Why my corals are turning brown????

erroldejesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post.Firstable excuse my poor English. I have a 11 gal nano tank. All is fine , but my problem is because my corals turns brown. I make 1 gal water change weekly, my nitrates are 5, phosphates 10, ph 8.2, temp 80. I think the problem will be the leds I have in my nano. There are 12 cree leds (6 whites+ 6 blues) The whites are 6% power and my blues 25%. If I lower the percents they turned off. I only have two clowns , 8 months old aprox. My ricordeas are whites (before they were grees and orange, My duncan, some acans are brown. All of them are fine but the color is brown. I don't know what to do. Do you will help me with this situation? Thanks from Puerto Rico.

brentsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post.Firstable excuse my poor English. I have a 11 gal nano tank. All is fine , but my problem is because my corals turns brown. I make 1 gal water change weekly, my nitrates are 5, phosphates 10, ph 8.2, temp 80. I think the problem will be the leds I have in my nano. There are 12 cree leds (6 whites+ 6 blues) The whites are 6% power and my blues 25%. If I lower the percents they turned off. I only have two clowns , 8 months old aprox. My ricordeas are whites (before they were grees and orange, My duncan, some acans are brown. All of them are fine but the color is brown. I don't know what to do. Do you will help me with this situation? Thanks from Puerto Rico.

Your nitrates and phosphates are really high, plus 80º is too high. And for your water changes 25% is a good amount of water to take out, so for an 11 gal just under 3 gal would be good.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed your corals? What is your lighting cycle? The whites are the ones that benifit the corals. They should be on at least eight hours a day. I would ramp them up from 6% slowly to allow corals to acclmate untill you get them where corals are looking good again. Keep an eye on temp would rather have arond 77-78 degrees.

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates and phosphates is what's causing your coral to lose their color, your temp isn't what's causing them to brown. 80 degrees isn't deadly but 77-79 is idea.

OP
OP
E

erroldejesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for yours responses. My lighting cycle is 7 hrs. I not feed my corals. I feed my clowns daily. I feed with spectrum, tetracolor and flakes. 3-4 pellets and a bit of flakes. Maybe I have to feed one to another day. What do you think really what amount of water i will do? I forgot to tell you that the distance of my leds to the higher coral is 14". Thanks again

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed every other day as your tank is pretty small and up your water change to 3g a week as stated above.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I ran my 120g SPS tank at 82-84 year round. So temp is as long as you don't see huge 5 degree swings. I also ran 5-10 on my nitrates, so those are fine as well.

What test are you using that you are getting a 10 on phosphates?

How many fish do you have?

Got a picture you can post?

Last edited:

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as coral color goes I think it would be more of a water parameter issue and or light issue more so then a feeding issue.
Please post your CA-ALK-MAG levels.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

erroldejesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using API test. Really I not have Ca-Mg- alk kits because I not have sps corals. The kh is 10. Ronnie I only have two clowns.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 5.0%
Back