Why No Reef-Safe Ich treatment?

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean no disrespect but that vid is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen. Amongst other things, he states that if it's good for humans, its good for fish.....Try giving aspirin to cats or chocolate to dogs and see what happens. Also, his "evidence" that ginger cures ich, is because after two days, he does not see ich on his fish. Someone should research the life cycle of the parasite.....
Yes you make a valid point, but I can only go by my brother who had been reefing many years and had killed all his fish through ich the first time around. When he introduced a powder blue tang the second time around all his fish once again got ich, he looked on the internet and came across someone using ginger, he tried it and within days the ich had gone and he swears blind that the ginger worked!. If its pure by chance that the ich had come to the end of the life cycle well nobody knows, at the end of the day he believes it worked for him and for me if my fish ever had ich at the beginning, well I never lost one to it. I respect people’s comments this is how we learn from one another. I hope one day there is a better solution in curing ich which is all marine hobbyist nightmare.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you make a valid point, but I can only go by my brother who had been reefing many years and had killed all his fish through ich the first time around. When he introduced a powder blue tang the second time around all his fish once again got ich, he looked on the internet and came across someone using ginger, he tried it and within days the ich had gone and he swears blind that the ginger worked!. If its pure by chance that the ich had come to the end of the life cycle well nobody knows, at the end of the day he believes it worked for him and for me if my fish ever had ich at the beginning, well I never lost one to it. I respect people’s comments this is how we learn from one another. I hope one day there is a better solution in curing ich which is all marine hobbyist nightmare.

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill tell you guys my experience im fairly new in the hobby about 2 years now, " tang police " one day i went to a local petco try to skim some cheapo deals " hobbies dumb expensive " and saw a silver dollar sized yellow tang my favorite fish really wanted it but saw it had ich on its tank mates so i knew what i was really getting myself into but decided to risk it. i brought the fish home did a dip acclimation 5 days in tang got ich day 7 rest of my fish got ich. being on a budget i knew setting up a QT was gonna be a pain in the butt but i pretty much got the cheapest of equipment $8 filter $10 tank from pet supplies sale 10 gallons, $10 basic heater and $7 wavemaker for good water movement. took 10 gallons out of my 40g filled the QT tank up started off dosing Copper Power ( the ATI test kit doesnt read it right so dont bother ) kept going to the local fish store to test it with a hanna tester did mine at 2.25 ppm in about 5 days of dosing kept all my fish and the tang in there for about 60 days..... longest 60 days of my life but what i did happen in that time first 10-20 days ick left the body day 21 i came home fish was covered in Black ick... how it got in there who knows the copper level was still 2-2.25ppm still used furian & metroplex killed the black ick than..... got some type of black fin infection which made the yellow tang turn reddish on the head and fins then started to turn black so i dropped the copper and did furian and metro again by this time my water was GREEN but the fish where active ate non stop and all. after about 60 days i took the risk cause the QT was just discusting at this point didnt want to clean it cause i just didnt want to mess with the fish used minimum light and all returned them back into the main tank been about 2 months now the fish look amazing. worst process ever took forever and you wont believe the crap that leaves your fish in QT these fish are probably infested with this garbage just gotta QT it all unfortunately no way around it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back