why no white corals?

reef tank 2.0

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 12, 2021
Messages
760
Reaction score
323
Location
Cincinnati
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with all the coral colors that are out there, and different types. why is there no white coral?
and when I say white, I'm talking healthy coral that is meant to be white.
you can find every color of the rainbow, but that one.

unless there is white coral out there, but I've never seen any
 
Because alot of times people are looking for bright and colorful corals. White just isn't a coral color we look for in the hobby, so its not worth it to sell. I am sure you can find a white coral, they're just not at all common.
 
we do like bright and colorful corals, but there are also those reefers that like brown mushrooms :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I like white! :face-savoring-food:
 
There are some albino acros in the trade that are quite beautiful. They have colorful polyps so the contrast is quite striking. I will try to find pictures I’ve seen online.
 
Just do like they did in the 80’s. Buy bleached coral skeletons and once algae starts growing on them, take them out and re-bleach them
 
with all the coral colors that are out there, and different types. why is there no white coral?
and when I say white, I'm talking healthy coral that is meant to be white.
you can find every color of the rainbow, but that one.

unless there is white coral out there, but I've never seen any
In addition to the white softies and acros, there are actually some "bone white" corals - but they're NPS (often deepwater, and sometimes troglobitic).

As was mentioned, the zooxanthellae give the corals much of their color, so the NPS corals (which don't have zooxanthellae) don't always have the coloration.

For examples of true corals that are white, you can look at Lophelia (Edit: Ah, slight correction to myself here, Lophelia are now accepted as Desmophyllum) species and Leptoseris troglodyta. Additionally, some hydrocorals (such as some Stylaster species) are also white.
 
Last edited:
To correct some misundertandings, zooxanthallae are brown. It's the host corals that makes the myriad fluorescing and chromo protiens to manipulate the lighting conditions for thier simbionts in less than ideal conditions. There are white corals that are healthy but they will not grow as fast missing the energy provided by their simbionts.

https://www.academia.edu/11257731/W...leaching?auto=download&campaign=weekly_digest
For more on color see my post here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/d...-you-have-stressed-corals.831833/post-9841893
 
A few known varieties of very pale to white acroporas:

Acropora echinata, Ice Fire
Acropora nasuta, Blueberry
Acropora sp, White Walker
 
Just to address the obvious problem with white: to be photosynthetic one needs to absorb light.

To be pure white you cannot absorb light. Hence lack of white plants and other photosynthetic organisms.

Some may be quite pale and have a lot less ability to photosynthesize than others, but still need to be off white.

There certainly are colorless and white NPS (nonphotosynthetic) corals. I had some come in on my live rock.
 
I brought a white rock flower thinking it was beautiful but it was actually bleached and turning orange again after a while.

Then it got so healthy it decided to move around and overnight got stuck into my powerhead and tried to save him. Didn't get shredded but idk how long it was stuck and it died that night (っ˘̩╭╮˘̩)っ
 
There are actually some naturally pale/white corals that are zooxanthellate--Cycloseris, Pleuractis granulosa, and Sinuorota hexagonalis being a few of them.
Cycloseris sp.; Guam | Credit: Marisa Agarwal
1717818626746.png

Pleuractis granulosa; Egypt | Credit: Ingo Rogalla
1717818981863.png

cf Sinuorota hexagonalis; Kwajalein Atoll | Credit: Scott & Jeanette Johnson
1717819379038.png
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new