Why not more fish?

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there are a bunch of reasons like others have said. With saltwater, we're dealing with fish that generally get bigger, have issues with being territorial and showing aggression, typically are used to a decent amount of swimming space, and we have a bioload to worry about on top of that. When keeping a complex system with very little mechanical filtration, water parameters are very important and a sudden shift can cause havoc and destroy everything we've worked so hard for and been patient with.

The other bit is what we consider the "pet" in the situation. I can't speak for everyone here or the freshwater community, but when I think of a freshwater tank, the fish are the pets and the tank is essentially the cage/housing. With reef keeping, the reef as a whole is the "pet" that we keep. For me personally, the fish are important, but it's really about finding that balance of fish, coral, inverts, and everything else (including microfauna, rock, substrate) and having them all work together to produce something beautiful and somewhat self-sustaining.

OP
OP
Jay Duke

Jay Duke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Tiggs, your explanation makes the most sense to me. I can definitely resonate with that.

One stupid question though.

Is there a down side to adding more mechanical filtration to help with your bioload if you wanted more fish?

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Tiggs, your explanation makes the most sense to me. I can definitely resonate with that.

One stupid question though.

Is there a down side to adding more mechanical filtration to help with your bioload if you wanted more fish?

No downside at all. In fact, dealing with the heavy bioload aspect of it is actually pretty straight-forward. In marine, mechanical filtration is usually just an appropriately sized skimmer, filter floss/socks, and possibly a UV. If I was going to stock heavy, I'd bump up biological filtration and want more total volume in the sump, extra live rock in the sump, a refugium, and pretty much anything else I could do to increase surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow on. In addition to that, you'd want a robust CUC to keep the substrate clean and detritus free.

The harder part with stocking heavy is the aggression, territorial nature, swimming room, stress levels, disease prevention/control, and overall quality of life for the fish. Some species just need a lot of room or else they'll never quite be content and will display different behavior than they would in an appropriately sized tank. In most cases, someone that prefers to stock on the heavier side will typically have more fish than usual, but they'll pick species that are smaller in size and don't need as much room. Also, it's a good idea to pre-plan your stocking list if you're planning on going heavier, so you can research their behavior and compatibility with each other.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back