TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Coral Pro salt mix -

How long to mix the mix?
Use a submerged pump, and mix only for as long as it takes for the salt to completely dissolve. Do not mix for more than 2 hours and do not bubble air into the water, as both of these actions will cause unnecessary precipitation.

Why would this be a recommendation (no more than 2 hours)? Do we not 'mix' the salt continuously once we add it to our tanks full of pumps/powerheads? I can see the PH lowering (or even elevating I suppose) depending on co2 levels; is that what they mean? I'm scratching my head on this one

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long to mix the mix?
Use a submerged pump, and mix only for as long as it takes for the salt to completely dissolve. Do not mix for more than 2 hours and do not bubble air into the water, as both of these actions will cause unnecessary precipitation.

Why would this be a recommendation (no more than 2 hours)? Do we not 'mix' the salt continuously once we add it to our tanks full of pumps/powerheads? I can see the alk lowering (or even elevating I suppose) depending on co2 levels; is that what they mean? I'm scratching my head on this one
High alkalinity / calcium salts precipitate with prolonged mixing. I believe it's something to do with the release of CO2. A chemist will be along shortly :)

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why would this be a recommendation (no more than 2 hours)? Do we not 'mix' the salt continuously once we add it to our tanks full of pumps/powerheads? I can see the PH lowering (or even elevating I suppose) depending on co2 levels; is that what they mean? I'm scratching my head on this one

I've always mixed my salt until it was ready to go in the tank. I've never read about this recommendation. Where did you see it?

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always mixed my salt until it was ready to go in the tank. I've never read about this recommendation. Where did you see it?
Here - https://g1.redseafish.com/how-to-mix-salt/
Interestingly it says 4 hours on the bucket itself :thinking-face: in CAPS :):oops:
1716644711948.png

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Used this salt for 5+ years and NEVER saw any issues mixing it for weeks on end beside some residue in the mixing barrels. But almost all salt has a hard residue.

I now use Brightwell and have zero issues or residue leaving it for weeks.

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see there being any issues either, sort of the reason I posted asking why they would recommend this; just curious. Are they worried the water will not match the numbers on the box after x hours?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long to mix the mix?

It is mostly a heating effect, but may also be related to CO2 release and rising pH. Both promote precipitation of calcium carbonate, but it does not always happen.

A high CO2 home likely reduces the effect.

FWIW, Red Sea itself is a bit confused on the rationale, so don’t try to understand it from what they write.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see there being any issues either, sort of the reason I posted asking why they would recommend this; just curious. Are they worried the water will not match the numbers on the box after x hours?

There are issues. They even posted a video demonstrating the precipitation. It happens with other high alk mixes too.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used this salt for 5+ years and NEVER saw any issues mixing it for weeks on end beside some residue in the mixing barrels. But almost all salt has a hard residue.

I now use Brightwell and have zero issues or residue leaving it for weeks.

That residue and the resultant lowering of alk and calcium is the issue. In some instances it is more dramatic.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would this be a recommendation (no more than 2 hours)? Do we not 'mix' the salt continuously once we add it to our tanks full of pumps/powerheads?
We have phosphate, organics, and bacteria that inhibit precipitation in the reef aquarium. :)

That being said, I don’t think there’s an issue with mixing it longer than 2 hours.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have phosphate, organics, and bacteria that inhibit precipitation in the reef aquarium. :)

That being said, I don’t think there’s an issue with mixing it longer than 2 hours.

Yes, that’s the reason that higher alk and pH is ok in a tank but not in raw salt water.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That residue and the resultant lowering of alk and calcium is the issue. In some instances it is more dramatic.

I've never experienced a lowering of either element outside of the ranges on the bucket. So acceptable in my book.

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, that’s the reason that higher alk and pH is ok in a tank but not in raw salt water.
This makes sense to me. How hard would it be for them to post their rationale? Maybe we hobbyist might learn something. As you said though, maybe a little fuzzy on that rationale perhaps. Thanks for explaining

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always filled my 10 gallons of RODI water the day before the WC, then before bed, I add the salt, add alk to match tank alk, and let it mix overnight. I have a heater in there that is set to match my tank temp. So in the morning after the feeding, I double check the WC salinity to make sure it’s spot on and I do my WC and my numbers don’t budge. I don’t use Red Sea but I’ve never notice precipitation in the WC bucket.

Should I stop doing it this way? Hmm.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always filled my 10 gallons of RODI water the day before the WC, then before bed, I add the salt, add alk to match tank alk, and let it mix overnight. I have a heater in there that is set to match my tank temp. So in the morning after the feeding, I double check the WC salinity to make sure it’s spot on and I do my WC and my numbers don’t budge. I don’t use Red Sea but I’ve never notice precipitation in the WC bucket.

If it works there’s no reason to stop. Sounds like a fine plan to me.

Mixing for prolong periods of time with elevated alk and pH increases the risk of precipitation. It doesn’t guarantee it.

If temps stay normal and you only mix it overnight with no precipitation, I see no reason to stop it. It sounds like a great regimen to me.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never experienced a lowering of either element outside of the ranges on the bucket. So acceptable in my book.

I’m certainly not saying whether it is acceptable or unacceptable, just explaining the science behind the claim. That, and that some folks with different environmental conditions than you may have a different outcome.

I used normal IO for 20 years, and it left lots of calcium carbonate in the mixing barrel, but I did not consider it unacceptable.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you are using a mix with low enough alk that you add it, then precipitation is less likely an issue.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. IO doesn't have a similar recommendation. Do others? I've def let a pump run for days without any (known) issue

Recommendation or not, it happens with normal IO.

Back