Why NOT to get a diamond goby

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since the first day I brought it home I've hated this fish. It covers everything close to the ground with sand. MOUNDS of sand! Here's a before and after of a nice hammer. After two heads got brown jelly the 3rd was starting so I tried cutting off the third and it crushed into 3 killing it.

20170831_223423.jpg

20170810_215204.jpg

20170927_190044.jpg

Fishmanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that’s what they do... a little research before purchasing livestock is invaluable.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sand is WHITE though[emoji4] I had to move most of my lps corals that were on the sand bed up. He is the coolest fish in my tank and the hardest worker. Sorry about the hammer.

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got one, I love the guy. He is always so active and interesting.
But the best thing is, my sandbed is SPOTLESS.
It was covered in cyano and diatoms and who knows what, but now it looks like it is straight out of Tank of the Month...(lol I wish)
Strangely, I haven't really seen him spitting sand on any of my corals. I guess it just comes down to the individual.

Only problem was that the tank was really cloudy for the first few days.

OP
OP
Kmsutows

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew the potential but didn't realize how fast! There was a hill for a while he made then over night covered half the hammer and when I dug it out it was too late. My sand certainly has never looked better though!

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine calmed down after a week and the dust cleared out. He doesn't move nearly as much sand as he did when I first got him.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lucky with mine.. he will eventually remove all the sand from the middle of the tank and push it to the sides but I don't have a lot of sand. He doesn't cover anything, even the plate coral in the sand bed.

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in the JBJ45 I owned previously and thought the same thing. Had to get rid of it because I couldn't take the mounds of sand he was creating. Also it was like monkey-see monkey-do, my Royal Gramma started doing the exact same thing! :mad:

With that said... I've been thinking about getting one for my Reefer 450. I can't keep the sand bed clean no matter what I try. I siphon the sand, turkey baste the rocks, have GFO, biopellets, carbon running, even had UV going for a bit. Do weekly water changes and still no luck. The trade-off might just be worth it.

mps026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had two jump out of my tank with the cover on. They found the 2 by 4 inch gap near my overflow. Other than that misfortune i liked the fish.

powertodareefle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had two jump out of my tank with the cover on. They found the 2 by 4 inch gap near my overflow. Other than that misfortune i liked the fish.
I liked mine but after 3 weeks he jumped out. I found him under the sump, My very first fish jerky.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He keeps my sand clean. wonderful fish.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 37 28.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 63 47.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back