Why reef keeping?

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As most of you know I'm a teacher and this is our first full week of school. Through the last two days we went over classroom policy and what not that is appropriate in the classroom.
Today we went over a get to know me exercise where we say who we are and what we do for fun, 5 favorite foods, I think you guys get where I'm going.
So I gave an example for the classroom and told them I like keeping a reef tank as a hobby. One student raised their hand and ask what's so great about keeping a tank for Nemo. I told him it's an amazing hobby to not only learn about an eco system but to control something and make it thrive. I told them how I love watching things grow and see how other species adapt to hard times. I continued to develop a more in depth conversation with my 7th grade class then I intended however it got me thinking.

Why did you guys get and stay in this hobby?

Last edited:

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, because I suffer from anxiety and I remember as a kid I felt at peace when I was at an aquarium watching the fish swim. I don't know if this is stupid but when I have a bad day or feel overly stressed I come home, sit, watch and I feel more relaxed. My boyfriend has caught me in the middle of night just watching the fish swim. This hobby has helped me in so many ways. I know it stupid but it's honest

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, because I suffer from anxiety and I remember as a kid I felt at peace when I was at an aquarium watching the fish swim. I don't know if this is stupid but when I have a bad day or feel overly stressed I come home, sit, watch and I feel more relaxed. My boyfriend has caught me in the middle of night just watching the fish swim. This hobby has helped me in so many ways. I know it stupid but it's honest
Not stupid makes sense, and you control that space [emoji1]

oscargrumete61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just love to see how swimming my fishes like they are flying, relax me a lot and i
Love the beautiful color of the corals

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do it because I love a piece of the ocean in my home. It really is beautiful.
It also challenges me to think about something very different than day to day stuff.
I admit I would have alot more money with out my sps addiction but atleast I am not buying drugs...lol

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an addictive personality, I have to have SOMETHING that I am into. I used to be a heavy heavy drinker. Kicked the regiment and shifted my focus into work, but needed something else. Bought a simple tank, which evolved into the love of the hobby today. Very rewarding seeing corals and fish thrive. Like the challenges the hobby gives at times also.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an addictive personality, I have to have SOMETHING that I am into. I used to be a heavy heavy drinker. Kicked the regiment and shifted my focus into work, but needed something else. Bought a simple tank, which evolved into the love of the hobby today. Very rewarding seeing corals and fish thrive. Like the challenges the hobby gives at times also.

Been helping with my sobriety for many years. More ways than I could possibly write. The passion, evolution, addictive nature suits my personality as well.

Plus its just awesome to walk into a home and see them. Living ecosystems & art of nature.

Last edited:

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get super bored easily. If a hobby comes to easily for me I move on usually. Reef keeping has been one of the most frustrating hobbies I've ever had with every day something changing and needing my attention.

My Bellus Anglefish is currently at the hospital being treated for Popeye. She got in a tussle with my Blue Reef Chromis who is the resident jerk of the tank.

Test led

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I deal with PTSD and TBI along with a lot of physical injuries. It is hard to stay on track with many simple things during the day. But keeping a reef tank....there is just something about it that can take and calm you down when you are mentally at your worst. It is a world where the quiet and peaceful bliss can give you escape even if just for a minute at a time.

Studjunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 6 kids at home and a very stressful demanding job I needed something that's just me time. Something that I can tinker with when I'm in the mood to tinker, watch when I'm just in the mood to vedge... I could spend thousands a year on therapy or I can spend thousands on my reef... I like that I don't need an appointment to visit my reef... lastly, while I love everything I keep in my tank and try to give them all the best environment to thrive as possible, if something happens and a fish/coral dies, while it hurts, I just flush it down the toilet.... not to mention I'm a big believer in retail therapy and reef keeping allows for MANY opportunities for therapy [emoji6]

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My story parallels yours very very closely. I love this hobby, keeps me busy and happy.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm part fish, swim better than most people walk, but always wanted to bring something home from the ocean. Now I do, watching things grow is the ultimate success. You should see my garden!

splix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to fill space in the house, and we had the perfect room for it, and I told the wife I wanted a nice fish tank there instead of a boring book case. I've always wanted to do a salt water tank so I decided to set one up. I remember researching everything about it and people kept calling it a hobby, and I'm like "it's a fish tank, how is it possibly a hobby?" Oh how wrong I was.
I'm still very into it because it's something that is almost impossible to master and perfect so it never becomes boring. There are always tech advances making things easier, which also bring changes that are (most of the time) fun to experiment with. It's constant learning which is what keeps me going with it.....and spending but thats ok haha.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just do it so I don't have to listen to my wife...

Nah lol just kiddin but I do it for the passion of the ocean and animals that live in it. As a child I have always been around fish as my grandfather was a local fisherman, 3 uncles as well.

I can still remember back in Portugal when the nets came in to the beach, everyone wood help cram the rope from the fish net and bring tons and tons of fish onto the beach where they would line up wooden crates and scoop up similar fish and be taken away to sell at the markets. Needless to say we had free fresh fish 4-5 times a week.. good old times..

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife wanted a dog many years ago, I said no. That was before we had kids and I didn't want a dog and leave for a week or weekend and have to arrange travel around the dog. So she said what about a fish tank, I said no! Haha she finally talked me into it. Started off with freshwater, setup a couple different freshwater tanks. Quickly grew bored and wanted the challenge, more so wanted the beauty of a reef display in our home. We both love the ocean and beach so it seems fitting!

Marcus1212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always kept aquariums. Watching the fish and corals grow and thrive is exciting. It is a complex system that is always changing and evolving, and our inputs are what make and break those systems. It is amazing and in a weird way a great/ very expensive form of therapy... but only when things are going right lol.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back