Why reef keeping?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started keeping aquariums after my dad got me a ten gallon kit with some fish from walmart. Those fish didn't really last all that long and after a while I had an empty tank. I started collecting wild panfish and catfish from my family's pond and also some local creeks. I kept those fish until they were starting to get too big for the tank and then I released them back to where I got them from. Fast forward to college to where I have been keeping freshwater tanks for several years, I decided that saltwater was the logical next step in being an "advanced" aquarist. I saved up some money and got an aqueon evolve 8 gallon aquarium after researching about reef tanks to the point where I felt like I knew what I was doing. I've since moved on from that tank and got myself started on bigger tanks. Eventually I will have a huge showcase reef that will be the talk of the town, or the forums at least!

I love reefing because it can be so rewarding to see time and effort pay off with a thriving ecosystem in my house. I've learned so much about chemistry, biology, ecology, LED lights, animal husbandry, fish personalities, and even budgeting appropriately through this hobby, you just won't have any experience like that with any other hobby in my experience. You also can't dive natural reefs everyday, but at least with a reef aquarium you can see one in person daily.

nine9d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an animal lover. And I since I remember I wanted to get into keeping a saltwater tank. I had freshwater since I was a child, but my love for the ocean has always steered me to wanting a reef tank. And here we are today.

To me, the reason I love reef keeping is because there is always something to learn. Whether you are dealing with day to day maintenance, watching your corals grow, talking to your fish (yes, I do this), or just going to shows and talking to fellow reefers, there is so much to learn. People can do something completely different then you and have the same results, there is not always a tried and true method, and that keeps it interesting.

knowen87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had cancer last year. Hodgkins Lymphoma. I had 6 months of chemo. There were times that I could not watch TV or read a book because the words would overwhelm me. I spent a lot of time looking at the tank. It is kind of mesmerizing. That renewed my love for my tank. I like showing it to people especially if they are really interested in it. I love the biodiversity you can have in the tank and the different characters of each fish.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why Reefkeeping? I am not exactly sure, but I do think my hobby of aquariums in general stems from my childhood moments with my dad. he'd have a freshwater tank in the basement and he'd take me to Petland to pick out fish. That's always been my fondest memories, those trips to Petland with him. I don't remember if I took interest in the tanks themselves when I was young. Teenage years, I got a betta and it expanded from there to multiple FW tanks and betta breeding for a while.
A friend had a reef tank, and it sparked my interest to try it in a 10 gal. Holy mistakes were made! When I moved out of my parents house, I broke it down.

A trip to the caribbean and after the snorkeling excursions, I really wanted a reef tank again. From there, it's been nothing but reef (ok, I have a 9 gal FW but I am itching to turn it to a mini reef!) Such beauty and the pride one feels when it flourishes and grows!

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got married. I told my wife pick 1 vice that I could have

1. Women
2. Beer/Alcohol
3. Fish/Fishing

She choose Fish/Fishing and per our agreement she has no say in anything I do fish tank related unless it directly jeopardizes our finances, health, or overall well being.

Secretly she enjoys looking at it as well and the fact that we end up taking road trips to reef conferences all over the USA. Oh and friends....

Making friends with other adults is very difficult in today's society. Sharing a similar interest has introduced me to numerous good friends in the reefing community.

OP
OP
Mr.Rocc

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man you are an introverts nightmare. I hated teachers like you. I've had jobs that do this too and it made me want to walk out. ugh
LOL o how you are wrong! Its a choice I let them do. You decide what you want to take out of it. They can sit there and do nothing or participate and get a full bodied experience. My students are 50/50 with positive home life situations so I give everyone the chance to either speak up or stay quite. trust me you would not walk out of my class. We have a blast!

OP
OP
Mr.Rocc

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I shared this page with my students today and they were astonished about the stories and meaning behind the hobby for some of you.
Like most of you tinkering is my biggest obsession. I cant let something alone I always have to make it (what is my bank accounts downfall) bigger and better. My ADHD has been an issue for me since 7th grade. And no im not talking about i cant stay still. I was diagnosed with ADHD because i would have 8 math problems or word problems half completed on my tests or quizes. My fish tanks not only increased my efficiency in my work but gave me a huge stimulant to continue my success. To this day I have not been without a fishtank for longer than a year. Lets keep these comments coming so I have more to read.

Fishnerd7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love reading all the responses. I'm a Navy Sailor about to retire after 23 years. I love the ocean. I love the research and building process of saltwater which take awhile. Still building. I have two freshwater tanks to keep me motivated and excited about the saltwater tank. Most older Sailors have sleep issues as well. Five minutes in front of my mini ocean and I can fall asleep in any kind of chair. I do not have PTSD but I totally get why they receive relief from aquariums. At times they are like golf though. In golf you get to throw a golf club when things go wrong. All this darn glasss... I just pout a lot now. Lol

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love my hobby and tank.

Picked up a GBTA from a local club member, a real looker. Large, healthy and vibrant. After two weeks of watching, waiting and hoping sometime late last night it began to host my snowflake clowns. My wife and both my sons (7 &2 yo) watched them for a whole hour when we all got home. The 2yo now says nemo every three words, he gets super excited watching them. This is just one of a thousand reasons.

5572c9a90ebbf1d1868807dd6cf50327.jpg

c54676ef0fc52cf2e240324ffd8177df.jpg

3211541e0a9011e253d146130254b2ac.jpg

I just love how complex, challenging, and rewarding it all is. My wife doesn't even ask how much I spend, the whole family enjoys the tank and she shows it off to all her friends and family when they come over.
e561d53be264ef81f5d05c901da98c7e.jpg

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these people here have deep meanings but all I can say is feather dusters and flame scallops. I saw those back when I had a freshwater tank and changed my whole system for them. It is relaxing but that wasn't my main reason

Fishnerd7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got married. I told my wife pick 1 vice that I could have

1. Women
2. Beer/Alcohol
3. Fish/Fishing

She choose Fish/Fishing and per our agreement she has no say in anything I do fish tank related unless it directly jeopardizes our finances, health, or overall well being.

Secretly she enjoys looking at it as well and the fact that we end up taking road trips to reef conferences all over the USA. Oh and friends....

Making friends with other adults is very difficult in today's society, but sharing a similar interest has introduced me to numerous good friends in the reefing community.
Mermaids are fish. So you're saying theirs a chance. lol Ok that was silly. So true though. Been on this forum only a month or so and have met the most nicest people willing to help with the hobby.

Mihana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's my dad's fault.... I'll explain. When I was an infant (just brought home from the hospital kind of infant), my dad cut a hole in the end of my crib and inserted a fish tank. While not a reef, (it was a freshwater tank with brightly colored gravel, bubbles and the obligatory goldfish), it was absolutely beautiful. I had that fishtank in my room until I was 6. I never had a mobile or anything of the sort, the fish were mesmerizing, I remember them to this day.

I don't know if this is what began my fascination with aquatic life, but it feels like a pretty good guess. There is something that is incredible that happens to me when I watch my fish swim in the underwater garden that I cultivate and care so thoroughly for. It is a labor of love, one that brings me back to the time in my life when I had no concept at all of such things.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an addictive personality, I have to have SOMETHING that I am into. I used to be a heavy heavy drinker. Kicked the regiment and shifted my focus into work, but needed something else. Bought a simple tank, which evolved into the love of the hobby today. Very rewarding seeing corals and fish thrive. Like the challenges the hobby gives at times also.

Not to make lite of alcoholism, but there's many a days my tank makes me want to drink, and I've never been a drinker.

When the tank isn't getting the best of me, it's the most relaxing thing in the world. It's therapy, it's art, and it's my creation.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always loved animals. I would help my dad take care of his freshwater tank, and eventually I got my own freshwater tank at my moms house when I was in middle school. I learned all about cycling and compatibility and maintenance, mostly through online forums and a few books. I would spend hours reading about fish, and my mom was so impressed that when I started high school she let me get a saltwater tank too. I have never been more passionate about a hobby that I've had, and it's so fun getting to share the experience with others who are just starting out. I've been in the hobby for about 8 years total now and I still just can't get enough. I remember how I was so excited when I got my first fish and my first coral and I'm so glad that I can help others enjoy the hobby as much as I do.
I like freshwater, too, but I think reef tanks are generally a lot more dynamic and there's more of a collectors aspect to it with corals. The fish also have a lot more personality and overall I feel like the tank is a more complete ecosystem, in general, which is fascinating to me (I have a degree in Natural Sciences with a focus on ecology).

I have noticed that a lot of hobbyists have that "obsessive personality". Where we get really, really into something. Reef keeping feeds into it because there are so many topics relating to it. It could be sps corals, breeding a fish, creating the perfect aquascape, getting the exact lighting combo you want, collecting every acan, etc. And while it's not good for my bank account, it is undoubtedly healthier than some other addictions. I'm glad I learned about that aspect of myself early, so I could avoid those types of temptations.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the beauty and science of it. There are so many different things to do in the hobby and soooo much to learn.
That's how I feel too. I'm and engineer and scientist by training and by nature.

The reef tank is a way for me to express my science in a very artistic way. I have to know about biology, chemistry, plumbing, electrical work, math, carpentry, computer programming, and of course, artistry to make something you can't control look perfect.

I learn everyday. I am challenged everyday. I love the art and beauty and the wonder and the fascination and the creatures every day.

Vince57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, because I suffer from anxiety and I remember as a kid I felt at peace when I was at an aquarium watching the fish swim. I don't know if this is stupid but when I have a bad day or feel overly stressed I come home, sit, watch and I feel more relaxed. My boyfriend has caught me in the middle of night just watching the fish swim. This hobby has helped me in so many ways. I know it stupid but it's honest
Oceanwave45-It isn't stupid! I too, find it relaxing, staring at my fish, swimming around, like there's isn't a worry in their world. Wish, I could say the same for me, in my world.
We all have stress, it seems our stress release, is watching the small creation, we've built in our waterbox.
Happy reading!!!

Vince57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been helping with my sobriety for many years. More ways than I could possibly write. The passion, evolution, addictive nature suits my personality as well.

Plus its just awesome to walk into a home and see them. Living ecosystems & art of nature.
Chef Paul-Congratulations on your sobriety!my hats off to you, sir!
Oceanwave45-It isn't stupid! I too, find it relaxing, staring at my fish, swimming around, like there's isn't a worry in their world. Wish, I could say the same for me, in my world.
We all have stress, it seems our stress release, is watching the small creation, we've built in our waterbox.
Happy reading!!!
Happy reefing, not reading! Dang autocorrect.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 55 years old and I can not remember a time when I was not collecting and or housing aquatic life. When I went to private school my tanks went with me, college the tanks went with me. I would like to think Jacques Cousteau series inspired me, and it did, but I was already passionate about the hobby. It's just in my blood, anyone who knows me knows it's my thing.:cool:

Joseph Wright

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As most of you know I'm a teacher and this is our first full week of school. Through the last two days we went over classroom policy and what not that is appropriate in the classroom.
Today we went over a get to know me exercise where we say who we are and what we do for fun, 5 favorite foods, I think you guys get where I'm going.
So I gave an example for the classroom and told them I like keeping a reef tank as a hobby. One student raised their hand and ask what's so great about keeping a tank for Nemo. I told him it's an amazing hobby to not only learn about an eco system but to control something and make it thrive. I told them how I love watching things grow and see how other species adapt to hard times. I continued to develop a more in depth conversation with my 7th grade class then I intended however it got me thinking.

Why did you guys get and stay in this hobby?
Besides the beauty of it all, I like building reef systems from scratch, the challenge of solving chemical, biological & sociological problems withing my minireef. The reward, of course, is getting to watch the characters in my tank perform better than the best sitcom ever. And believe me, they are all characters... happy reefing and I hope your class learns to love what we do!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back