Why reef keeping?

chowwil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, because I suffer from anxiety and I remember as a kid I felt at peace when I was at an aquarium watching the fish swim. I don't know if this is stupid but when I have a bad day or feel overly stressed I come home, sit, watch and I feel more relaxed. My boyfriend has caught me in the middle of night just watching the fish swim. This hobby has helped me in so many ways. I know it stupid but it's honest
Not stupid. Watching my tank and watching everything grow is very comforting and awarding.

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been drawn to water and the ocean. Aquariums fascinate me and I love the reefs. Plus I've always had pets.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As most of you know I'm a teacher and this is our first full week of school. Through the last two days we went over classroom policy and what not that is appropriate in the classroom.
Today we went over a get to know me exercise where we say who we are and what we do for fun, 5 favorite foods, I think you guys get where I'm going.
So I gave an example for the classroom and told them I like keeping a reef tank as a hobby. One student raised their hand and ask what's so great about keeping a tank for Nemo. I told him it's an amazing hobby to not only learn about an eco system but to control something and make it thrive. I told them how I love watching things grow and see how other species adapt to hard times. I continued to develop a more in depth conversation with my 7th grade class then I intended however it got me thinking.

Why did you guys get and stay in this hobby?

In high school my biology teacher had a beautiful reef setup in her classroom. Most of the animals were collected with her own hands while on research expeditions as a post grad and included a huge H. Crispa nem and a H. Hippopus clam that dated from the early 90's. In addition to keeping the tank she also ran a marine biology club. I immediately joined after seeing the tank and through the club learned to care for marine aquariums and became a certified SCUBA diver. By my senior year I was running the club, the tanks, and applying to every marine science program in the country in hopes I could get into a top program. I unfortunately didn't get into Scripps but I did get into one of my top choices and 4 years later I had my BS in Marine Science. After graduating however I did not have the funds or desire to continue my education for another 4-6+ years and somehow worked my way into healthcare. So now fast forward 10+ years and this hobby is my connection to my past and keeps my love for the wonders of our oceans burning bright! It also helps that this hobby is infuriatingly difficult at times making it a true escape and for me the best hobby one could have. A bit lengthy of a post but I just wanted you to know through my story that teachers like yourself do spark passions and drive your students to do great things. Thank you!

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby. What drew me in is the unique blend of engineering, science and art. I'm an engineer by trade so that part was easy. Now the art and chemistry are taking over. What a fun challenge!

curiouser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a constant intellectual and creative challenge that can reward the reefer with beauty and the joy of a job well done.

Justin Simmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to spend every weekend at sea world San Antonio when I was younger. I would spend hours just watching the sharks and coral reef exhibit, and learning everything I could about the fish and corals.
During that time in my life I was suffering from depression and it was suggested by my psychiatrist that I start fish keeping to help my depression since I enjoyed learning about marine biology. It really helped me through some tough times, and I'm thankful I did this.
On a side note, the one fish in particular that really got me hooked on marine tanks was the blonde Naso tang. This one fish has cost me so much money, but It was worth every penny.

Goby-won

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to everyone above!

Not sure really why...too many reasons to mention (hence my answer above).

Nobody ever mentioned why we "don't give up". I've been through ick twice now. Lost a few fish each time. Devastating since I "learned" the first time to QT, but I trusted and I got myself in trouble this last time. This time (still no fish in DT until 11/14) I swear nothing goes in without QT!

I am going to start the next thread - "Why we don't give up?"

Dr.Xipoles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it cause its cheaper than a dog [emoji28].
Real talk though: the fish and corals depend on me to keep them alive; it gives me purpose, a reason to wake up every morning. Its a great symbiotic relationship.

Carmen Rivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, because I suffer from anxiety and I remember as a kid I felt at peace when I was at an aquarium watching the fish swim. I don't know if this is stupid but when I have a bad day or feel overly stressed I come home, sit, watch and I feel more relaxed. My boyfriend has caught me in the middle of night just watching the fish swim. This hobby has helped me in so many ways. I know it stupid but it's honest
I don't think it's stupid. It is very relaxing. It has helped me deal with stress. I can look at my tank for hrs :)

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kept freshwater on and off as a kid/teenager but never seriously. Since I was in my 20's I've been diving recreationally and for the last 20 years I've been diving commercially in oil and gas fields. A lot of what we do can unfortunately be destructive to marine environments which makes me feel a little guilty at times and this is part of why I keep a reef tank if that makes any sense. I know nothing I do in reefing will account for that destruction but I love to see a small piece of coral growing bigger in my tank or having a fish that is happy in a peaceful environment.

Aside from that, being around and in the ocean has taken up over half of my life and having a small piece of it makes me very happy. It's challenging and rewarding in equal measures and sitting watching a marine tank is better than anything I can get from a television!:)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back