Why should people care about the well-being of fish?

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says. I’m in a contest with $1250 at stake, and I’ve designed a starter kit for beginners interested in the hobby. So, why should people care about housing fish correctly, and giving them the best lives possible?
Thanks guys!

Gw2kpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because these are creatures that we own principally for our enjoyment. Since they are not in their natural environment, they are unable to fend for themselves. It logically follows, then, that it is our responsibility to provide proper environment, tankmates, and care for our livestock.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often find it interesting to flip the question to "why would you ever put 6x 8" Koi in a 30 gallon tank? Would you enjoy life crammed into a closet and being fed the same meal everyday?"

Often its not that people don't care its that they don't know the impact of giving a fish a poor environment until they die a year later. It stresses me out to have to explain why cutting the minimum tank requirements in half or a third is unethical. Just because a fish cannot express unhappiness through words doesn't mean that its not your responsibility as a pet owner to provide the best care.
badfishhabitat.jpg

Note: A tank at my local Thai food joint. It WAS 6 fish before I took this and asked the owner if I could donate a larger tank or rehome them. He said no... I go somewhere else now.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because these are creatures that we own principally for our enjoyment.
Given the logic in this statement, it's also the ethical thing to do. Just because they're not mammals doesn't mean we shouldn't care for them like we would any other pet we consider a member of the family.

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often find it interesting to flip the question to "why would you ever put 6x 8" Koi in a 30 gallon tank? Would you enjoy life crammed into a closet and being fed the same meal everyday?"

Often its not that people don't care its that they don't know the impact of giving a fish a poor environment until they die a year later. It stresses me out to have to explain why cutting the minimum tank requirements in half or a third is unethical. Just because a fish cannot express unhappiness through words doesn't mean that its not your responsibility as a pet owner to provide the best care.
badfishhabitat.jpg

Note: A tank at my local Thai food joint. It WAS 6 fish before I took this and asked the owner if I could donate a larger tank or rehome them. He said no... I go somewhere else now.
I can relate to your story. I love bettas and hate seeing them housed incorrectly, and the pet store I USED to go to just started putting 3-4 females and one male all in 20 gallon unplanted tanks. I hate to see it :(

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back