Why the SPS Gurus/Masters doesn't use LED's as main light source?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm far from a guru or master, but I just like having the piece of mind provided by a more broad spectrum range provided from alternative lighting sources. I would consider LED my primary lighting source, but I also run 468w of T5 throughout the day to help round out my lighting scheme. One of my frag tanks is lit solely by a DIY LED setup using Cree diodes, and I noticed that some corals browned out. That frag tank is plumbed into the DT, so I contend that lighting is probably playing a large part in the lack of coloration seeing as water parameters are the same. Several people have made similar claims with various types of acropora losing their coloration under LED, while other corals have improved coloration.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it isn't broke don't fix it, unless the alternative is proven to be better. That is how I see it. LEDs are still in their infancy for the marine industry

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it isn't broke don't fix it, unless the alternative is proven to be better. That is how I see it. LEDs are still in their infancy for the marine industry

+1!

In my opinion, I'm getting awesome coloration and growth, using only T5HO lighting. So far, LEDs haven't been proven to be superior, to me. Also, to replace my T5HO with LEDs would be VERY COSTLY. At this point, I'm unwilling to pay such a large expense, on a fairly new technology (for our hobby). I'll wait to see more long term success and in the meantime, prices will come down, as the technology improves.

Then again, I went with all T5HO, when that particular lighting type was fairly new, to our hobby, back when most said you couldn't grow SPS under T5HO...lol. However, it wasn't such a huge expense, at that time, as LEDs would be at this time.

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have LEDs on my sps dominate 75gal I'm happy with color but i think my growth could be better ! I will know for sure in a year or so lol

OP
OP
E

elblond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them but as a supplement, I also use T-5's and MH's. I want to see some successful SPS tanks and history with mainly LED's. No just new additions or transitions.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look in my build thread in my signature, that's predominantly under LED. There are four 39w T5s that run for the duration of the day, but the remainder of the T5s are only used for a high noon effect.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have responded to multiple threads on the LEDs. I paid $750 for 3 lights to illuminate my 300 gallon tank. I have growth pix all over R2R. Colors are crazy nice too. I have had the LEDs running for 14 months. I did add and Ecoxotic Stunner strip to give a lil more punch through the eurobrace, though.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow talk about a whole lot going on there. All that crazy dosing for pale looking SPS corals? Doesnt seem worth it or even beneficial to me. Ill take a KISS system and my rich coloration any day.

The tank is awesome though, no denying that!

Somewhat agree.Those corals could be more vivid.Insane growth though. Ill prob add in some t5's to my next LED build. I have an ATI 6 bulb at the moment though, and Im not really a fan. Lack of shimmer, not as much pop..A combo of the two seems like the key

OP
OP
E

elblond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see if there're any reefer that use just LED's and have success and time with it.

Last edited:

darryl_v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow talk about a whole lot going on there. All that crazy dosing for pale looking SPS corals? Doesnt seem worth it or even beneficial to me. Ill take a KISS system and my rich coloration any day.

The tank is awesome though, no denying that!
Couldnt agree more.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have LEDs on my sps dominate 75gal I'm happy with color but i think my growth could be better ! I will know for sure in a year or so lol

I like to see some more people long term results with LEDs. People that I talk to and alot of my customers ad friends have tried LEDs only to switch back to t5 or halides or both. Until I Get more people that tell me good results froming term use, I'll stick to the proven t5 and halides combo.

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use only leds on my tank. I have 2 119 watt fixtures over my 90 gallon. I have had great growth and great colors so far. I think it's been about 5 months now. I'm very happy with them.

OP
OP
E

elblond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to see some more people long term results with LEDs. People that I talk to and alot of my customers ad friends have tried LEDs only to switch back to t5 or halides or both. Until I Get more people that tell me good results froming term use, I'll stick to the proven t5 and halides combo.
We think alike Mike!

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some good results, but I have also seen some things I didn't like with LED only tanks. Until I see a few tanks that have started up with all LED's and have grown in as well and are worthy of say a TOTM thread I will only use them for suplementation. This is just my opinion and if you are having good results with them thats great. I just have too much invested in "MY" system to do a complete swap out for all LED's until I am 100% sure the results will be better then what I am running now. I know they save you money, but until I know they can do what my Radiums do thats not enough for me to make the swap.

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to go LED's. But on a system as large as mine it doesn't make financial sense to go LED...yet. Ive seen a few local setups with LED's, and they looked great. The growth I have seen is incredible! :eek:

I think corals can grow under almost any lighting, provided that the spectrum and intensity requirements are met. I believe reefers rank lighting much higher than it should be. Light would be fourth or fifth on my list of things that make a successful reef system. Nutrient control would be first, water flow second, stability, and then lighting.

I would attribute much of LED negativity and bashing to inferior lighting units and/or inexperienced reefers. But, this is all conjecture on my part as I have yet to personally experience LED's. I heard the same complaints and talk when I went to 100% T5 years ago. As Sanjay recently stated, a photon is a photon. :p

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back