Why the SPS Gurus/Masters doesn't use LED's as main light source?

maharsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to

I totally agree with Sunny, a photon is a photon. I don't understand all the LED bashing either. I guess I can equate it the ol "anti technology syndrome" that I see in my parents/grandparents. You know, the people that still write checks in the grocery store? lols. Anyways, I ran 3x400 watt radiums for years, nowm I run 2x200 LEDs and I really am digging the results. They are very powerfull, and Had to be dialed back some. I am loving the cost savings. No chiller, no heatbuild up in my house, not much top-off water being used. Its a win,win for me. I must admit, I haven't noticed an increase or decrease in growth, or do I care. Not interested in selling frags at all, so it doesn't matter to me.

I would love to go LED's. But on a system as large as mine it doesn't make financial sense to go LED...yet. Ive seen a few local setups with LED's, and they looked great. The growth I have seen is incredible! :eek:

I think corals can grow under almost any lighting, provided that the spectrum and intensity requirements are met. I believe reefers rank lighting much higher than it should be. Light would be fourth or fifth on my list of things that make a successful reef system. Nutrient control would be first, water flow second, stability, and then lighting.

I would attribute much of LED negativity and bashing to inferior lighting units and/or inexperienced reefers. But, this is all conjecture on my part as I have yet to personally experience LED's. I heard the same complaints and talk when I went to 100% T5 years ago. As Sanjay recently stated, a photon is a photon. :p

iprayforwaves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an AI Led system on my solana, sps dominated reef. I get fantastic colors on my sps and my clam has been super happy since I installed the system 2+ years ago. The sps grow so fast I have to trim a couple of them back weekly so they don't touch the glass. Just my experience.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen MH tanks that look good... and others that don't. I have seen T-5 tanks that look good... and others that don't. LED is still new so haven't seen too many but I would bet it is the same... some good, some bad.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far LED technology is fairly new and with all the marketing hype that we've been "bombarded" with day and nite ... I'd have to sit back and wait a little longer to see the majority of the reef community feedback to justify the future investment.

I've personally seen LED's lit up in reef tanks but have yet to be convinced that it does it's job compared to both the MH & T5HO's thus far!!

I love the idea of adjusting the light intensity, colors, special effects, less heat emitting, longer lifespan diodes, less hydro bill cost etc. BUT the cost of LED's are just too costly due to the fact that it's a supposedly "latest" technology hence the steep price.

Paul

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the pop LEDs give a tank. But there are 2 reasons I wont convert to 100% LED. And its not the "old guy is afarid of new technology" syndrome. I am a healthy skeptic. I don't follow trends blindly because everyone says it really works. Mostly because my idea of success may not be the same as yours.
"A photon is a photon", everyone loves to quote that. But they leave off the most important part of that quote, "as long as its the proper spectrum" There many different colors in corals and many different pigments. Each group of pigments responds to certain wavelengths and many pigments haven't been studied yet. And some corals produce certain pigments to protect themselves from certain wavelengths. LEDs don't have a lot of light in the 400 range. Maybe thats why there are reports of certain corals not looking as good. Its too hard to say as nutrient levels play an important part in this as well and there are too many tanks with too many variables I don't know for sure, but what I do know is MH and T5s never have reports of that certain corals aren't coloring up. If I were to replace them in the future I think I would lean toward the new RGB type fixtures with some UV supplementation.
The second reason is cost, but not only cost but because it is quickly evolving the 3 grand it would cost to cover my tank might be outdated in 2 years and parts not available in 4. That is definitely not an issue with MH or T5. I did replace a 250w on the low light end of my tank with LEDs. It took 72 3w to get the same or close to the same coverage. Not really a big saving there in energy usage.
In the next month I do plan replacing my VHO supplements with LEDs but even just with that I am worried that i might be losing something. I will use 144 3w to replace 4 6ft vho. No energy saving there either, but i should end up with better par.

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful setup and tank. great corals but i don't see that RICH colors. zeovit seems to pale the colors and make the sps look "pastel" ish
i got me a sps dominant tank but i run the Triple Threat. MH, T5, LED

That's the issue with zeovit, not LEDs.

CJ

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the issue with zeovit, not LEDs.

CJ

hmmm, ok so this tank wouldn't be the best example for LEDs then as far as color? Plus i don't know anyone personally running a strict Zeovit tank such as this.

CONSTANTNE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from an ATI Sunpower T5 fixture to AI sol blues and couldnt be happy. I know light plays a big part but I feel that water chemistry/stability and water movement play an even bigger part. What im trying to say is that the more and more I keep SPS and im in this hobby I realize light isnt that important as other factors.

I appreciate others who agree LEDs can keep SPS long term. I think, like others stated, its people who are set on their ways.

Good thread!

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
old MH
DSC_0048-1.jpg

now 2 AI
DSC_0057-1.jpg

Last edited:

AcroholicReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think corals can grow under almost any lighting, provided that the spectrum and intensity requirements are met. I believe reefers rank lighting much higher than it should be. Light would be fourth or fifth on my list of things that make a successful reef system. Nutrient control would be first, water flow second, stability, and then lighting.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back