Why the SPS Gurus/Masters doesn't use LED's as main light source?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a few weeks, I can add some photos here. I'm coming up on the 1 year mark running my tank exclusively under a CREE DIY build.

I think many of you will be surprised by the growth. One example: a small frag of birdsnest has turned into a volleyball-sized colony.

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a few weeks, I can add some photos here. I'm coming up on the 1 year mark running my tank exclusively under a CREE DIY build.

I think many of you will be surprised by the growth. One example: a small frag of birdsnest has turned into a volleyball-sized colony.

I'd love to see that

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took over a 65 gallon tank from a person in December of 2009 and shortly thereafter changed it to metal halides (2x150). In May of 2010, I switched to LEDs, in part to keep from having to buy a chiller, but mostly to try out the new technology. This was a DIY build with 12 cool white XP-G's running at 1A and 24 royal blue XR-E's running at 700mA, controlled by an Apex. It's been 17 months since I switched. About 3 months ago, I switched out about half of the cool white XP-G's for neutral white XP-G's and like the look a bit more. Here are some of my results:

Dr. Mac's Tricolor Vilada when introduced in March 2010 (before LEDs)
AcroporaValidaTricolor3-29-10.jpg

The same tricolor a few months ago (approximately 16 months after purchase, 14 months after switching to LEDs)
MacTricolorVilada.jpg

A branching hammerhead coral at the end of February 2010
Hammerhead2-28-10.jpg

This was it 10 months later (8 under LED). It now has close to 40 heads and has colored up very well (no color adjustment was done to this pic)
Hammer1-2-11.jpg

Here is a rescue colony of birdsnest and an acropora when I got them in March 2010 (the person's tank had crashed)
DyingCoral3-8-10.jpg

Here is a top-down view of it in January 2011
Anemone1-2-11.jpg

Here's a frag of pink birdsnest I got around April 2010
PinkBirdsnestSide.jpg

..and in August 2011
PinkBirdsnest8-11-11.jpg

A montipora cap I got in late March 2010 (it is approximately 2" diameter)
GreenMontiporaCap3-29-10.jpg

Here you can see it in the front center of the aquarium in this pic I took two months ago. I've since had to break off a lot since the lower level was about 10" in diameter and some of the other levels were growing into other corals.
FTS2.jpg

As you can see, I've had some success with LED lighting in my aquarium. I've had no issues with LPS, SPS, anemones or clams. Everything has grown well and the colors look great.

CJ

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pics CJ. LED's are definitely growing in popularity and very well may be the future of aquarium lighting. I came very close to choosing an LED fixture when I setup my latest tank late last year. The benefits are hard to argue with. I ultimately chose a halide / T5 combo fixture for the same reasons that many others have stated in this thread. While I have seen some very nice LED only tanks, I just haven't seen a great number of nice SPS tanks that were grown fully under LED's. Since they are so new to the market, there are some folks who have put nice LED fixtures over mature SPS tanks and are having good results. But the big test for me will be long-term SPS growth from frags.

I have seen some good examples (just like CJ posted here) which is very promising. But the movement is still in it's infancy. The all T5 movement took FOREVER to catch on. But once folks saw that you could grow SPS into mature colonies under T5's only, lots of folks switched. I suppose it will be the same with LED's. With all of the competition entering the market with LED's it will definitely benefit the average reefer who wants to try them. I will let others pave the way here. But I will only trust my prized SPS with proven, consistent technology. And LED's are still are still in the development stage IMO. Proven consistency will be put to the test over the next year or so. I'm hopeful and excited to see the developments!

OP
OP
E

elblond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of factors that go into growing sps successfully, one of them is stability. Why change something that is going to risk stability?

IBEW41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of factors that go into growing sps successfully, one of them is stability. Why change something that is going to risk stability?
because sometimes change is better I have seen a few tanks on this thread that might make me go to all led(I now have t5 led combo).for stability mh and t5 lose intensity and spectrum as they age and have to be replaced leds don't and last a lot longer

low profile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

lovemyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leds make sps growth dense because it doesn't have to reach for brighter light. Hard to frag a dense colony. Just my two cents.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to add that most or all of the good revues
From people that have talked to me are from ai sol. I don't know if it's because I talk to
Mostly higher end coral collectors and most customers of mine are on the higher end
Market but the ai sol has been The majority of the revues I get and they are good. Jeff at Aquaworld Psc has been an led guru for a long time and he has tried all of them in his store. From The cheap china ones to the best of the best Long term And short term. Maybe he can give us his experience and what his customer base feedback on Them. He has a much more wider customer base at his store than
Me.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back