Why was the Reefkeeper Lite Discontinued?!

Seanybaggs123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See Title....

I was so looking forward to something affordable that would manage the needs of a lps/softy mixed tank, and now fear I will never be automated..

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See Title....

I was so looking forward to something affordable that would manage the needs of a lps/softy mixed tank, and now fear I will never be automated..

GHL has a couple systems that are somewhat affordable in there Profilux Mini/Light wifi versions. However these are only affordable depending on what you want out of a controller...

OP
OP
Seanybaggs123

Seanybaggs123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL has a couple systems that are somewhat affordable in there Profilux Mini/Light wifi versions. However these are only affordable depending on what you want out of a controller...
PH/Temp, safeties like floor water sensors, ATO shutoff at certain ph... simple things

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH/Temp, safeties like floor water sensors, ATO shutoff at certain ph... simple things

Oh well I'm almost certain the Mini can handle all of those... you could also go with the Profilux 4E as well, it's a little up there price wise (Kindof middle ground like the Apex EL) but it is 100% expandable into a full fledged controller system.

OP
OP
Seanybaggs123

Seanybaggs123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh well I'm almost certain the Mini can handle all of those... you could also go with the Profilux 4E as well, it's a little up there price wise (Kindof middle ground like the Apex EL) but it is 100% expandable into a full fledged controller system.
But therein lies my point and frustration.

For 120 dollars.... i could have had the reefkeeper lite... which would have been fine for my needs. Every other option I'm looking at is at least triple that cost. Ridiculous!

However, I do appreciate the suggestions! As I may still get one some day...

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But therein lies my point and frustration.

For 120 dollars.... i could have had the reefkeeper lite... which would have been fine for my needs. Every other option I'm looking at is at least triple that cost. Ridiculous!

However, I do appreciate the suggestions! As I may still get one some day...

I agree it is rather frustrating that the parent company of DA decided to discontinue the RKs production. You could if you're somewhat technologically inclined go with a Reef Angel or ardurino (that spelling might be off) controller's

OP
OP
Seanybaggs123

Seanybaggs123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I need to change my thinking....

What is the lowest cost apex, that is still reliable, and would meet the needs of temp/ph monitoring, return pump start and shutoff, and leave room to add a couple safeties such as floor sensors?

Streetdoc77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is the lowest cost apex, that is still reliable, and would meet the needs of temp/ph monitoring, return pump start and shutoff, and leave room to add a couple safeties such as floor sensors?
The Apex EL is $499 comes with temp , ph probe . Leak detection with the FMM module and sensors sold separately of coarse . I used to have the DA Elite and when I switched over to Apex and haven't looked back .

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

a used Apex lite can do that. It still has fusion and all that. Just it won't support the DOS or Trident but otherwise similar.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what I'd love....an inexpensive but still reasonable - $200-250 range monitor and email product. Blackbox had something. I don't need or want a full controller. But I'd love something that just monitors temp and pH or ORP and send me an alert if it exceeds a range I set. That's it.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An apex lite could easily be bought for $150-200 and be very reliable.
Plus I'd want a fairly universal wireless protocol included. I don't want to buy an wireless module. $250.00...plug and play, have an app to set my setpoints and view historical data, email or text notifications and local alarm. No power needed at all. Put the money into the wireless and the email/text functionality and the app/browser.

OP
OP
Seanybaggs123

Seanybaggs123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to price out the sensors, but I like the idea of the Hydros 4.

More research for now. Just want to have this figured out and running before our next big vacation

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is EXACTLY what I want. I’m no way do I want a controller, but a monitor that can notify me remotely. It looks like for a short time Milwaukee made one but it has vanished!
Yeah...I found out when I went to order one. :( It was a tad pricey but it included all 4 probes I think (temp, ph, Orp and Salinity?!?). Agree...I don't in principle like the same device being the controller as well as the protection, the notification and the alarm. That's too much reliance on one thing. Plus $800?!? I can get by more than adequately with other single function controllers (other's will surely disagree). I have thought about the seneye but it's $500 with web connection, and $200 seems a tad high to have my pc near my tank to get messages. Might be worth having on vacation though. Also less than thrilled about ongoing pack purchases, but it does have ammonia which (along with ORP) IMO is what I really want in a monitoring device. Earliest indicators of BAD and then tell me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.3%
Back