Why wont my nitrates go up

jhaggerty1990

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 29, 2023
Messages
53
Reaction score
14
Location
Memphis
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phophates and nitrates bottomed out. I assume bc my skimmer, refugium, and gfo on a 25g. Think i got it to clean. About a week ago I removed the gfo, turned the refugium light off, turned the skimmer off, and began double feeding. Still reading 0 on both possibly like 1 or 2 on nitrates. About how long do you think until they might go up? I know i can dose both but trying to do it organically
 
I've been fighting the same thing in my 75gallon. Turned off my skimmer, don't have a fuge or gfo. I even pulled the hose off my reefmat. Been feeding three cubes of mysis and a generous sprinkle of pellets trying to get them up...
 
assuming your test kits are good and you're testing properly, the only reason should be your corals and/or coralline algae are consuming nutrients. I had to shut off my skimmer, ramp up feeding and dose nitrate to get mine detectible.
 
I dosed neonitro for three days, the recommended 1 capful a day to add .5ppm to my 75 gallon. But then my Duncan refused to open so I stopped in case it was reacting badly to the dosing. My tank was barely showing any nitrates at that point then did a weekly water change a couple days later and back to 0... Granted this is testing with an API kit, so.... Yea....
 
I would recommend a different test kit, API can be hit or miss. The red sea master saltwater is pretty good in my experience: https://amzn.to/3E5H0wS
 
Dosing them is much easier and cleaner than trying to raise them with food alone
 
I am using api for nitrates so I guess Ill change that. Phos I have hannah checker
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new