Why would my controller do this??

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an apex Neptune controller operating since March 2016,that heaters wee connected to it the same day,set to come on at 77.7* and off at 78.8* with fallback to off, This morning I am woken up to find the temp at 82 and rising,the controller has turned the heaters on at 78 a higher temp setting than programmed and will not shut the heaters off. What is going on? Apec?? Shortly after purchas and installation .I had to spend over an hour on the phone with support to correct the corruption issue( it shut everything off at 20:20 one night)long distance charges on my tab!!now it's trying to boil everything in my DT, last night it also shut off the power heads for no known reason?the heaters are both titanium professional series t3-500 both new .thats a rapid temp Change of more than 3 degrees.why did it come on sooner than programmed?? Why won't it shut off?? The long distance bill was almost as much as the purchase price!does Neptune have shares in the phone company?only by unplugging the heaters from the apex can I get the temp to drop.

Last edited:

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the temperature probe still in the tank? What temp does it think the tank is?

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp prob is in the sump, beside the ph prob , according to the controller it says the temp is 81.8. I've unplugged the heaters from the apex however I do not have a separate controller for them so I will have to manually plug & unplug them until I get this fixed the closest open LFS is 5 hrs away

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The port could be stuck on?? I'll let the temp drop to an appropriate level & plug the heaters in one at a time to check if a heater is done (probably not the 1st time a heater crapped out). , it takes about 5-6 hrs for the tank to cycle from 77.7 - 78.8 -77.7. So it will be a few hrs until I know that answer.but why didn't the FallBack off work??thats the real question?

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cross-referencing thermometers show temp as 82,8

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune sure has a convoluted way for owners to contact them.

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is always best with ANY controller to run heaters with internal thermostats set to just above your desired temp.

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first- can you confirm the outlet numbers that the heaters are on? Can you hook up a desk lamp or something similar and try to manually toggle those outlets on or off? That would confirm a stuck outlet issue. Can you also copy and paste or screen shot your programming for those outlets so we can review as well?

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got 2 of these jbj true temp titianium 500 watt heaters on 1 outlet? If you spend 1 hour on the phone with neptune tech support, I doubt if it is the simple issue of the eb8 outlet stuck on or the code is wrong. It would have taken them 5 minutes to figure that out. I am just confused why the heater don't shut off because even when the apex fails, the controller of the heaters would shut off anyway right.....I am really confused!
jbjtt500.jpg

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took a little over 72 hrs for a support fix, the system crashed on Saturday, Tuesday support got it functional until Wednesday morning before 7 it shutdown again.spent 3hr with support to correct the issue.the heaters are in outlets 4&8 the lights were the issue today.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh dang. Too many problems within a week.....brand new apex?

It took a little over 72 hrs for a support fix, the system crashed on Saturday, Tuesday support got it functional until Wednesday morning before 7 it shutdown again.spent 3hr with support to correct the issue.the heaters are in outlets 4&8 the lights were the issue today.

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was connected March 26. 2016 . Since it has had issues every week.so far a disappointment.and I am therefore a sceptic of it's reliability.

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the house wiring .its all done to code

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex has been very reliable. I don't know why your 3 months old apex gave you so much grief. They wouldn't be so successful if their users went through what you did .

I am still at 4.33 firmware version. I don't update firmware as I don't have newer modules...not sure software is an issue here......

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The firmware was updated yesterday as well as this morning

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the port that is plugged in. I had the same issue when I switched over to my sump and plugged the temp probe in the wrong port. I also have to reboot the system for in to take my programming changes. When I do the boot I do it from the controller not the internet home>system>netsetup>restart. also check and make sure all of you modals are running the same firmware. that you can do with the IP log in Configuration>modals>update firmware

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The firmware was updated yesterday as well as this morning
When I setup mine one of the EB did not update until I went in to the IP log in and did it and everything then updated

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been up & running for about 3 hours now, but for how long? the firmware was updated yesterday & today

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back