Why wouldn't I see changes in Alkalinity and Calcium?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Dynamic equilibrium.

LPS uptake (and skeleton growth) is not as demanding for Ca/Alk as acros, imo. The addition of new calcarous substrate in a system of low uptake (and frequent water changes) could allow dissolution of Alk/Ca from the gravel for some time in a closed system before the reservoir of available elements is depleted. Once the reservoir is depleted, "Demand" should be more obvious if it is significantly greater than what is replaced from water changes.

I don't think I have ever read about LPS vs Acro alk demands or a comparison between them?
 
Soft corals don't consume alk or cal. SPS do and LPS to a lesser degree. Would not really expect to see consumption in a 6 month tank with regular water changes but also depends on how highly stocked you are with corals too.

Its time to provide a full tank shot.
 
Dynamic equilibrium.

So after reading the definition, I think you are suggesting that the rate at which elements are removed from the water column by corals equals the rate at which these elements are being replaced. Is this correct?
 
So after reading the definition, I think you are suggesting that the rate at which elements are removed from the water column by corals equals the rate at which these elements are being replaced. Is this correct?
If they are growing (and they should be adding some skeleton) then not seeing any change suggests the system is in equilibrium for the parameters measured. Uptake = replacement, "Correct!"

Moving forward I would test the tank regularly (maybe less often) and watch for a shift in equilibrium and the drop in Ca & Alk parameters. When that happens, more frequent measurements to figure out how much to be "dosing" will be key to keeping things happy and growing. HTH.
 
IMG_1766.jpeg
 
Dynamic equilibrium.

LPS uptake (and skeleton growth) is not as demanding for Ca/Alk as acros, imo. The addition of new calcarous substrate in a system of low uptake (and frequent water changes) could allow dissolution of Alk/Ca from the gravel for some time in a closed system before the reservoir of available elements is depleted. Once the reservoir is depleted, "Demand" should be more obvious if it is significantly greater than what is replaced from water changes.

I don't think I have ever read about LPS vs Acro alk demands or a comparison between them?
I agree with this. The high pH would also be explained by Ca/Alk release. Also the corals are stressed from the move and probably not growing at their full potential.
 
The tank primarily has Hammers and Zoas.

The only Coralline is on rocks which was on the rock when it was moved from another tank. I do not see any new Coralline growth.
Zoas don't really use elements at all cause they have no skeleton. Hammers also grow relatively slow and don't calcify that much. You are likely OK with water change alone to replenish calc and alk
 
Zoas don't really use elements at all cause they have no skeleton. Hammers also grow relatively slow and don't calcify that much. You are likely OK with water change alone to replenish calc and alk

This is probably not what you meant, but they do consume lots of elements as they grow , just not calcium and alkalinity and magnesium. I just didn’t want anyone to misunderstand. :)
 
While I don’t have anything to add to what’s been said already…I can say I never once saw consumption slow or stop because of a water change on my 250. Trident tested alkalinity twice a day and calcium/magnesium once a day. I was pretty religious about weekly water changes and was dosing quite a bit. If consumption slowed or stopped after a water change, I would have caught it

3000ml of fully saturated kalkwasser and somewhere around 150-200ml of soda ash daily.

IMG_1511.jpeg
 
Last edited:
The addition of new calcarous substrate in a system of low uptake (and frequent water changes) could allow dissolution of Alk/Ca from the gravel for some time in a closed system before the reservoir of available elements is depleted.
I didn't know such dissolution could happen, that's cool though. Maybe explains how I've had stony corals survive and grow through years of total neglect at one point.
 
While I don’t have anything to add to what’s been said already…I can say I never once saw consumption slow or stop because of a water change on my 250. Trident tested alkalinity twice a day and calcium/magnesium once a day. I was pretty religious about weekly water changes and was dosing quite a bit. If consumption slowed or stopped after a water change, I would have caught it

3000ml of fully saturated kalkwasser and somewhere around 150-200ml of soda ash daily.

IMG_1511.jpeg

Very nice tank. Your regime certainly yields good results.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new