Why you scared to have butterfly fish in reef tank?

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are concerns to have butterfly fish, even ones that say's reef safe, like copperband.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are concerns to have butterfly fish, even ones that say's reef safe, like copperband.

I'm not scared. I have:

Copperband
Pyramid
Zosters

Soft, LPS, SPS, Maxima clam

Pyramid, Zosters cleared out Xenia within 2 weeks.
Pyramid, Zosters, Goldlined Rabbitfish cleared out the stalks on my Blue Cespitularia (Marine Farmers)
Pyramid, Zosters nip at nuclear green palythoa daily (wish they would actually consume them more)
Pyramid, Zosters nip at Japanese Pink Nepthea - but not enough to keep it receding or damage it

I don't think scared is the right word to use here. I believe, in my opinion, it is more of a risk management and what are we, the hobbyist, willing to take. For example if any of them went after the Maxima clam I would remove them. If they completly ate or destroyed the Pink Nepthea I would have an issue and remove them. Xenia I have frags in my refugium. That sort of thing.

Great fish. Always out and about. Decent size. Friendly. Contrasting colors. Eat every prepared food be it pellet or frozen. Just know that these are known to eat some soft corals. Once Biota gets another production run of the Milletseeds I'll be adding those :)

OP
OP
zheka757

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just that I do have Copperbad Butterfly, but I never see it go after corals, with that said, is there a proof they do go after corals? Have any one actually witnessed them going after corals.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chelmon species are rarely a problem in reef tanks and Hemitaurichthys never are. Heniochus dephreutes are also reef safe.....good luck finding one though. There are options that are low to no risk if you want butterfly fish in a reef tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back