WiFi Dongle Problems

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my dongle this morning. I can not get a green light. It is connected to my wifi and it is discoverable by the app. I can also control the light that it is plugged into. It does not see the other lights though. All 4 lights were connected to the spectral controller and worked perfectly.

I have tried to open a ticket with kessil but I can not enter text in the message section of there support page.

Any insights would be appreciated.

OP
OP
GainesvilleReef

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Talked with Kessil CSR. We did a reset on the Dongle and App and I am now able to see and control all my lights. However, the red light still will not turn green. Waiting for an escalation contact from them.

OP
OP
GainesvilleReef

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

I still have a red light.

I love the app up until the point where I want to back up my programs. Logging in keeps crashing the app. I'm running it on Android.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we rigorously beta tested this product issues still may occur due to variability in WiFi routers or phone operating systems. If anyone else is having issues please contact our customer service team right away at [email protected] or by calling (510)620-5250. The sooner you report the issue the sooner we are able to fix any problems and get the WiFi dongle running as smoothly as possible.

OP
OP
GainesvilleReef

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we rigorously beta tested this product issues still may occur due to variability in WiFi routers or phone operating systems. If anyone else is having issues please contact our customer service team right away at [email protected] or by calling (510)620-5250. The sooner you report the issue the sooner we are able to fix any problems and get the WiFi dongle running as smoothly as possible.

I guess I have not been clear. My dongle has always been connecting. It is not a connection issue. It is fully functional. I can control everything with the app over my wifi network. The only issue is the LED appears to be incorrectly staying Red even though it is connected.

Also, the login function of the app crashes so it is impossible to save or backup programs.

IMO, these 2 issues probably only exist with the android app. It is not a wifi issue.

I also want people to know that if they get stuck with the LED not turning Green from RED, just press "Done" anyway and it is probably still working.

OP
OP
GainesvilleReef

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.

I had some further discussion with Kessil.

First, the dongle does an ICMP Ping to the router to test if it is connected to the network. It turns the LED green when it passes this test. So it can be still connected and fully functional with the LED not green. My network has ICMP turned off by default. I enabled ICMP for the Kessil dongle and the LED turned green. If you can not do this because you are in a business environment and there might be some policies against this, it will work perfectly without the LED turning green. I have been running it this way since it was delivered over a week ago. It just caused a little confusion on the installation because one of the steps was waiting till it turns green.

Second, They found the login bug and a fix will be in the next release which will be very soon.

I would also like to say that Kessil has been very responsive and I love being able to use the app.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.

I had some further discussion with Kessil.

First, the dongle does an ICMP Ping to the router to test if it is connected to the network. It turns the LED green when it passes this test. So it can be still connected and fully functional with the LED not green. My network has ICMP turned off by default. I enabled ICMP for the Kessil dongle and the LED turned green. If you can not do this because you are in a business environment and there might be some policies against this, it will work perfectly without the LED turning green. I have been running it this way since it was delivered over a week ago. It just caused a little confusion on the installation because one of the steps was waiting till it turns green.

Second, They found the login bug and a fix will be in the next release which will be very soon.

I would also like to say that Kessil has been very responsive and I love being able to use the app.

Thanks for the update! It's always nice when companies are transparent about their products.

Dinh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought one and set it up today. First everything was working correctly. I was able to play with all features and also added a new lighting schedule myself. Then after that the light was off and just couldn’t get it back on. I tried to delete the app and reinstall but no luck. I am thinking about returning it.
When it works it was really nice.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought one and set it up today. First everything was working correctly. I was able to play with all features and also added a new lighting schedule myself. Then after that the light was off and just couldn’t get it back on. I tried to delete the app and reinstall but no luck. I am thinking about returning it.
When it works it was really nice.
Please check out this forum for troubleshooting steps and please don't hesitate to contact us so we can get your WiFi dongle running smoothly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back