Wild caught vs lfs

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had success catching your own fish outta the ocean and housing them long term considering doing this just unsure of their sensitivity compared to aquacultured fish i know most of the lfs stock is wild caught but im talking from beach to qt thanks

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt, as you will probably need some type of license to catch them. As well as you don't know what kind of pest or disease could be carried with the fish. You are also going to stress the fish like no tomorrow as well

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With proper licensing and quarantine, collecting your own reef safe fish will most likely be less stressful than being collected, transported to wholesaler, then transported to retailer, then transported to you...

That would be correct, though depending on how much the licensing is, it might be just cheaper to go to a LFS and buy the fish

OP
OP
kp1991

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input i will research the bylaws cause buying from the lfs is getting pricey haha but what i wanted to know is are the fish likely more sensitive and should i bring my test kits to test their home seawater and replicate?

coezy2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my last 5 years of catching and bringing home fish for my tank, they are healthier, eat faster once in the tank and live longer than anything I’ve ever bought from a Lfs. Right now I have a beautiful queen angel, Atlantic blue tang and numerous red lipped blennies that eat flake food and have never had a problem with hunger strikes! So in my personal experience, nothing is more rewarding than looking at a fish you safely and responsibly and LEGALLY caught growing and thriving for years in your tank!

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did it for years personal and commercial back in the 80's.fish,inverts and corals almost always did great.a fishing licience was much cheaper than buying even one fish at a lfs.

robert teseo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here on long island, the gulf stream comes close to shore in the summer. lots of florida fish take the ride. there fair game with a saltwater fishing license. besides ,they will die anyway when the weather changes. the only hard part is getting them eating

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have. So did a friend. She had to catch live fish for her research and anything that wasn't what she needed, couldn't necessarily go back into the ocean, or was a really nice fit for the tank, was kept (not heaps, maybe 5 fish total in addition to her research fish). All of them faired pretty well. However, we didn't use nets, so I can't tell you anything about that. Also, we didn't have sensitive fish. But the ones we housed were/are all doing very well.

Just read up your laws (here, you didn't need a special license for most species), restrictions, taboo species and sizes etc.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my last 5 years of catching and bringing home fish for my tank, they are healthier, eat faster once in the tank and live longer than anything I’ve ever bought from a Lfs. Right now I have a beautiful queen angel, Atlantic blue tang and numerous red lipped blennies that eat flake food and have never had a problem with hunger strikes! So in my personal experience, nothing is more rewarding than looking at a fish you safely and responsibly and LEGALLY caught growing and thriving for years in your tank!
Where can you legally catch your own red lipped blennies? I have been searching for one

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back