Wild Copepods

whalewhalewhale

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 16, 2021
Messages
160
Reaction score
149
Location
Los Angeles (West SFV)
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those living on the California coast, have you ever caught any wild Tigriopus Californicus to feed to your tank? I was exploring the tide pools between Malibu and Ventura and saw pools with hundreds of thousands of orange pods. It’s pretty tempting right now to try going back to see if I can catch some using a turkey baster and a sieve.

I am however concerned about potentially introducing parasites or any unknown hitchhikers into the tank. I know the west coast is a coldwater environment, but that doesn’t mean it’s free of risks.
 
Here on the Jersey shore I just go to beach and grab clumps of sea lettuce from jetty and get thousands of pods not to mention some smaller crabs also for my sump. Here’s a few pics of last haul from last year.
Nothing beats free pods

72F15FF0-AED4-4ABC-9F24-DB7DB1263C30.png 3C81ABF6-A72C-4002-861E-C4CACAB09885.png 121FA004-741F-4739-BC97-8BEA6F589415.png 56469B27-FF84-46B8-B00D-58E83E452BEA.png
 
Apparently students from nearby universities regularly come by to grab samples for homework. I don’t see how this is any different.

https://undergrad.research.ucsb.edu/2019/09/were-cuckoo-for-copepods/
If not a marine protected area, I say go for it. Free pods. Was just bringing up to make sure you don't step on a landmine. Some people were arrested 2020 for taking livestock from tidepools in San Pedro and I've seen people detained at crystal cove as well.
 
For those living on the California coast, have you ever caught any wild Tigriopus Californicus to feed to your tank? I was exploring the tide pools between Malibu and Ventura and saw pools with hundreds of thousands of orange pods. It’s pretty tempting right now to try going back to see if I can catch some using a turkey baster and a sieve.

I am however concerned about potentially introducing parasites or any unknown hitchhikers into the tank. I know the west coast is a coldwater environment, but that doesn’t mean it’s free of risks.
Grab 'em. Price is right !
 
Please check with local fish and hunting game license department please please.
Sometimes a simple $30 or $40 seashell license or fish license can save your butt.
I know where I live bottom dweller fish I have no size capture limit on and hitchhikers are legal.
I can drive south 2 hrs and collect as well but I would never give away the locations. Lol.
I've met the Coldwater guys when they were doing that. Sucks it didn't work out.
D
 
I wonder where we would find something similar in Florida?
Copepods are practically everywhere in the ocean. I haven't checked Florida's tide pools, but I'm assuming just a piece of macroalgae alone will contain hundreds of various ones. The tough part is identifying which one is safe for your fish (parasitic copepods exist).
 
I always find it interesting that people do this. The water near shore is far from pristine in a lot of areas. Aren't people concerned about toxins, pathogens, pollution, etc these food types might have ingested or stuck to them. I would be so afraid of poisoning my inhabitants or introducing something like a chemical into the tank. Is stuff like this not a problem? I would never take anything from Lake Ontario to feed my tanks. I've seen the shore line waters... Yuck. I don't even know how people swim in it. :-)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new