Wild trachyphyllia

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please share about what Trachyphyllia look like in the wild, what depths they are found, if they grow into massive colonies, how they propagate, how they are collected, and what makes it different than a wellsophyllia?
I have this beautiful rainbow trachy I got from Austin aqua farms and it’s one of my favorite corals for not even that much!

IMG_3809.jpeg

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trachyphyllia are usually found in inter-reef habitats and sandy bottoms, similar to Cycloseris, Heteropsammia, and other free living corals. They are generally slow-growing, and you won't see large colonies like you would see for Porites. Trachyphyllia start as a round, monostomatous polyp, which then pinch into a flabellate-like shape. They grow by elongating their wall, growing increasingly flabello-meandroid. Occasionally, in their adult form, their corallite walls will fuse, becoming meandroid. Propogation is generally not possible, as Trachyphyllia are one singular (but polystomatous) polyp. They are usually exported from Indonesia; the collection process doesn't require any cutting, as they are free-living. Historically, flabello-meandroid colonies were classified as normal Trachyphyllia while meandroid (shared-wall) specimens were classified as Wellsophyllia; however, due to genetic analysis, this classification has gone away, with both genera now being classified under one species: Trachyphyllia geoffroyi.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some wild specimens:
Naviti Island, Fiji | Credit: Debra Baker
1699147584374.png

On an intertidal reef:
Port Hedland, Western Australia | Credit: the-reef-stalker, iNaturalist
1699147694900.png

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some wild specimens:
1699147584374.png

On an intertidal reef:
1699147694900.png
I thought being a one polyp species, all trachyphyllia were wild caught similar to scolys and acanthos?

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trachyphyllia are usually found in inter-reef habitats and sandy bottoms, similar to Cycloseris, Heteropsammia, and other free living corals. They are generally slow-growing, and you won't see large colonies like you would see for Porites. Trachyphyllia start as a round, monostomatous polyp, which then pinch into a flabellate-like shape. They grow by elongating their wall, growing increasingly flabello-meandroid. Occasionally, in their adult form, their corallite walls will fuse, becoming meandroid. Propogation is generally not possible, as Trachyphyllia are one singular (but polystomatous) polyp. They are usually exported from Indonesia; the collection process doesn't require any cutting, as they are free-living. Historically, flabello-meandroid colonies were classified as normal Trachyphyllia while meandroid (shared-wall) specimens were classified as Wellsophyllia; however, due to genetic analysis, this classification has gone away, with both genera now being classified under one species: Trachyphyllia geoffroyi.

Some wild specimens:
1699147584374.png

On an intertidal reef:
1699147694900.png
Thanks for sharing the knowledge! I learned that these corals are also mobile. They can inflate and go with the currents kind of like how a fungia can unbury itself.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back