Wild vs. tank raised acros... What's the difference???

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One member has joined the group buy! any one else interested?;Woot;Wideyed

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that I am late to the party, but I would not do this unless you have a system all set up and ready to go just for these... and you have lights more suitable to where they came from. I can minimize nearly all losses by using 6500k Halides for the first few months. Most of these will have come from less than 5m of water at 1000+ PAR at daylight. If you are lucky, they sat in some vats for a while under some semi-shade to help them acclimate.

I would not dip them at first. I would not do anything but leave them be and unmolested for a few months. I would not put them in a fresh tank or existing reef. I do not like to frag them until they are growing a bit. I do not like to blue up the light until they are settled and looking good. You are going to need uber patience.

Have you considered what you are going to do if you get a dozen colonies that are just normal stuff that you see everywhere? There is no guarantee that you are going to get anything special and you sometimes do not even get any beauties if you order 30 to 50 of them. The rest are usually just normal stuff.

Plan for the worst... you lose 4 colonies and the other 8 are just normal types of acropora like some pink and green saramentosa, some tricolor, some blue and green tenuis, etc. Will everybody be happy and can you make the cost work? If so, then you are golden if you do get a beauty.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that I am late to the party, but I would not do this unless you have a system all set up and ready to go just for these... and you have lights more suitable to where they came from. I can minimize nearly all losses by using 6500k Halides for the first few months. Most of these will have come from less than 5m of water at 1000+ PAR at daylight. If you are lucky, they sat in some vats for a while under some semi-shade to help them acclimate.

I would not dip them at first. I would not do anything but leave them be and unmolested for a few months. I would not put them in a fresh tank or existing reef. I do not like to frag them until they are growing a bit. I do not like to blue up the light until they are settled and looking good. You are going to need uber patience.

Have you considered what you are going to do if you get a dozen colonies that are just normal stuff that you see everywhere? There is no guarantee that you are going to get anything special and you sometimes do not even get any beauties if you order 30 to 50 of them. The rest are usually just normal stuff.

Plan for the worst... you lose 4 colonies and the other 8 are just normal types of acropora like some pink and green saramentosa, some tricolor, some blue and green tenuis, etc. Will everybody be happy and can you make the cost work? If so, then you are golden if you do get a beauty.

Also if you look at who he’s planning on using, the acros are pretty pedestrian. Personally, I wouldn’t do this unless you could cherry pick your piece, like I used to be able to, and even then it’s risky.

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! ive been in this hobby for quite some time now and I want to try something new. Im thinking of setting up a group buy to get a large box of wild acropora colonies. I keep a good bit of SPS frags in my DT, and they seem to be doing good. First of all, I have LED lights. would wild acros be able to go under my LEDs when I get them in? Second, I dont have a way to quarantine coral. Is it wise to put wild acro directly into your DT (dipping first of course). has any one attempted this and had success?
It’s thats an eel what u have as a puc? It is yours? Im obsessed with eels...

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thanks for the info. not so sure if im going to go through with this because of what you said and liability reasons. I appreciate your input!

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, yes it is an eel and yes it is mine. She is a Skeletor moray eel, my favorite kind. :)
Awwwwwwe! I have a black ribbon and a snowflake one ... love them, the black ribbon is huge got to keep her full I believe she eat already some damsels hahahahaha I have not seen 2 blues I put in , but the rest are there , no issues.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not want to discourage you from doing this sometime, it just sounds like now is not the time. Dedicated landing tanks, metal halides, being able to fund this yourself so that you are 100% in control of timelines and stuff, etc. it can really be fun and worthwhile. This is an advanced exercise in patience, husbandry and equipment. This is not going to be the same as keeping corals that somebody else weeded out to do well under blue lighting and low PAR - you are going to be doing that for this lot.

The more you order, the more good ones that you will get. There is usually a few beauties in a 25 or 30 box lot. I usually tell them lots of smooth skinned stuff and they have always obliged. I also have told them no montis or birdsnest and they have obliged with this.

If you kinda want to dabble and do the "lite" version, go to the acropora section of Divers Den and cherry pick some ones that you like. These are/were wild and while they surely filtered out the elite ones, there are some neat ones on there. Get a coupon and order enough and you can do better than $100 per colony. They usually have some tonga ones on there that might be a good test run for around $60-75.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not want to discourage you from doing this sometime, it just sounds like now is not the time. Dedicated landing tanks, metal halides, being able to fund this yourself so that you are 100% in control of timelines and stuff, etc. it can really be fun and worthwhile. This is an advanced exercise in patience, husbandry and equipment. This is not going to be the same as keeping corals that somebody else weeded out to do well under blue lighting and low PAR - you are going to be doing that for this lot.

The more you order, the more good ones that you will get. There is usually a few beauties in a 25 or 30 box lot. I usually tell them lots of smooth skinned stuff and they have always obliged. I also have told them no montis or birdsnest and they have obliged with this.

If you kinda want to dabble and do the "lite" version, go to the acropora section of Divers Den and cherry pick some ones that you like. These are/were wild and while they surely filtered out the elite ones, there are some neat ones on there. Get a coupon and order enough and you can do better than $100 per colony. They usually have some tonga ones on there that might be a good test run for around $60-75.

thank s for the suggestion! I might start with some DD then!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back