Wild vs. tank raised acros... What's the difference???

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this a few years ago with a couple local guys(definitly easier if everyone can meet up at the same place to go through and divide corals) there was 6 of us and we split 12 ausi colonies. The problem was we all wanted our frags right away and noone wanted to let the corals sit and acclimate for a week or 2 before getting their frags. The downside was most of us lost our frags fairly quick after that. The stress of the transshipment plus the acclimation and fragging them being .oved to each pwrsons tank and reaclimating. It was just too much and we all lost a bunch of money. The thought was good and we all agreed to try it knowing the risk.

One other hard part was being able to frag each colony atleast 6 ways for the 6 of us.

I agree with this. if I do it, im going to have a detailed written agreement saying how long I will keep the coral, what size frags, ship dates, etc. I will make sure they are not double shipped to avoid stress.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this. if I do it, im going to have a detailed written agreement saying how long I will keep the coral, what size frags, ship dates, etc. I will make sure they are not double shipped to avoid stress.
The other tissue with that will be, what if they arrive good, and they die while in your care, or when you frag them. Also people would want to know what their getting or see the box being opened so there's no "cherry picking" I remember that being a concern. Which is why I had everyone meet at my house after I picked up the box from the airport and we opened it together.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other tissue with that will be, what if they arrive good, and they die while in your care, or when you frag them. Also people would want to know what their getting or see the box being opened so there's no "cherry picking" I remember that being a concern. Which is why I had everyone meet at my house after I picked up the box from the airport and we opened it together.

the main thing I would be concerned about is it dying in my care. I was going to give everyone a frag of everything, that way we all get equal value.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying you wouldnt. Jusy saying I know that was a concern when we did it in the past. Could be worth while Bc you get some amazing pieces.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always tried to leave the colonies whole and just go in with one other person splitting the shipment. Later you can swap frags after they are growing so each person has a piece of each. Fraging a whole colony that’s just came over doesn’t work well until it’s completely recovered. Sometimes most will live but often you will loose a number of them.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always tried to leave the colonies whole and just go in with one other person splitting the shipment. Later you can swap frags after they are growing so each person has a piece of each. Fraging a whole colony that’s just came over doesn’t work well until it’s completely recovered. Sometimes most will live but often you will loose a number of them.

true, but it wold be too expensive for me to only have one person.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and just remembered this, depending on who your trans shipper is, they charge for reoxygenating the shipment before sending it to you, even though when you get it it's still in the exact same packaging and seals as it was when they shipped it (added cost for nothing. ) also gotta be careful when they do that bc they have been known to sway really nice pieces for mediocre pieces they have. Heard nightmares about some trans shipper. So be careful who you use.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and just remembered this, depending on who your trans shipper is, they charge for reoxygenating the shipment before sending it to you, even though when you get it it's still in the exact same packaging and seals as it was when they shipped it (added cost for nothing. ) also gotta be careful when they do that bc they have been known to sway really nice pieces for mediocre pieces they have. Heard nightmares about some trans shipper. So be careful who you use.

THanks for the heads up. Supposedly this company is really good

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to pass along any info I have. I used to import from bali and Jakarta and red sea all the time, years ago. And did a few ausi ones. The Audi ones really turned out to not be worth it bc of the cost. Unless you were ordering 5 boxes or more. But the ausi trans shipper I used was adamant about reoxygenating in la before shipping to NJ, which wa only 4 hours more. And I noticed a few bags were different. So i assume I was cherry picked.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to pass along any info I have. I used to import from bali and Jakarta and red sea all the time, years ago. And did a few ausi ones. The Audi ones really turned out to not be worth it bc of the cost. Unless you were ordering 5 boxes or more. But the ausi trans shipper I used was adamant about reoxygenating in la before shipping to NJ, which wa only 4 hours more. And I noticed a few bags were different. So i assume I was cherry picked.
May I ask what transshipper you used?

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask what transshipper you used?
It's been a few years so honestly I dont remember who I used for ausi. I know the guy I used for indo retired and gave it up. So if I was to start again honestly I would probably just get cites permits myself and go directly to the farms

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had issues with cherry picking from this place. Each time I got two nice ones in each box which is normally what is sent out.
Not trying to discourage, just want to give as much info as I can so you dont get screwed. There alot of fluff money in the transhipments

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if anyone is interested, heres a link to the group buy I set up to get some of these wild acros

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back