Will a dead fish cause ammonia spike?

AnnaG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi bought a few fish this week but one clown that I got seems to have just gone missing. I think it's died and is in the rocks maybe somewhere but I cant get it out. Have a jump guard on so didn't jump. Nothing in the overflow or usmp either. Its a 90 gallon tank and only a couple months old ( I upgraded from a new tank but I say its pretty new bc it still cycled at the start) Will I have ammonia issues?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say what's your clean up crew like and what is the size of the fish?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends. In an established tank, usually dead fish get eaten. In a brand new tank with dry rock, it could cause a bacterial bloom and/or an ammonia spike.

The bigger concern is why the fish died. Because if the tank is brand new and you are already starting with disease (I assume no quarantine by default), that would be a quick learning lesson (albeit not that great for the fish)

PS: that's another great profile pic by someone on this site :)

OP
OP
AnnaG

AnnaG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends. In an established tank, usually dead fish get eaten. In a brand new tank with dry rock, it could cause a bacterial bloom and/or an ammonia spike.

The bigger concern is why the fish died. Because if the tank is brand new and you are already starting with disease (I assume no quarantine by default), that would be a quick learning lesson (albeit not that great for the fish)
Wasnt my issue i believe. Everyone doing fine, sometimes they just dont make it.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasnt my issue i believe. Everyone doing fine, sometimes they just dont make it.

I think that is something to think about. Fish don't just simply die or don't make it for no reason.

OP
OP
AnnaG

AnnaG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is something to think about. Fish don't just simply die or don't make it for no reason.
Yeah of course. But i don't believe there was anything I could have done to prevent its death. I acclimated them all for an hour, they were all eating, parameters were fine. I monitored them all, last night he looked a little unusual but I tried not to stress about it.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah of course. But i don't believe there was anything I could have done to prevent its death. I acclimated them all for an hour, they were all eating, parameters were fine. I monitored them all, last night he looked a little unusual but I tried not to stress about it.

Again, just be careful. Many who start to QT fish do so because their tank got wiped out or multiple fish died, and its far harder to fix a problem after it starts.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going from pet store to your aquarium not to mention from the retailer to the pet store that is alot of changes in a short time for a little fish salinity up and down then they go in shock and if you don't get them out of it well you get a dead fish. Not every fish dies from disease!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back