Time for a little update :)
Priscilla died at the beginning of the year after a long fight with intestinal gas. I made the mistake of letting a molly loose in the aquarium for her to hunt (long after she was trained on tongs) and in her frenzy she chased it to the surface of the water and took a huge gulp of air. I tried to burp her, gently palpate her, and even attempted to sedate and extract the air with a needle, but in the end she did not make it. Which brings to light the incredible importance of keeping them away from AIR! (Specifically swallowing air; it appears that A. pictus and A. commersoni are resistant to low tide, but they close off their throats when this happens)
Dave is still doing fantastic, and currently lives in the same tank about double the size he was last time I pictured him.
I got a new frogfish in May by mail, I ordered an "assorted" frog in hopes it'd be one of the weirdo species and it ended up being a fantastic ruby red pictus! Best bang for $40 I I've ever gotten. Unfortunately, it appears that this animal took in some air in shipping and so it's still living in the acclimation box so it can stay off the water's surface. Thankfully she took to eating off the tongs almost immediately, so it's been easy to keep her strikes away from the surface. I'm trying to feed her big, intact foods to hopefully push the air forwards through her guts over time. If she does in fact have swallowed air, it's definitely less than Priscilla had because she can comfortably stay upright and navigate her little box :)
(This picture is from May, she is currently tan as most end up turning)
A shop near my recently got a big black angler that's almost the exact same size as Dave, and I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on it. I miss the interactions I got to watch with two in the tank!
My next big mission is to find foods that help frogs maintain color! Fresh squid and octopus have been very good to me as far as keeping them alive for 3+ years, but squid has so few carotenoids in it that all of my frogs that eat it turn tan over time. I've thought about making little sausages to feed them so I can engineer their colors a little better, but I do not have the equipment nor expertise to do such a thing. Oh well.