Will a hammer coral eventually cover its frag plug?

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.
So I’m the kind of person that doesn’t like the unnatural look of a frag plug but I’m also really worried about removing my hammer from the tile that it’s glued to. I was wondering if i leave it will the base of the coral eventually grow to cover the plug? This is my first stony coral and I have no idea how they grow.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.
So I’m the kind of person that doesn’t like the unnatural look of a frag plug but I’m also really worried about removing my hammer from the tile that it’s glued to. I was wondering if i leave it will the base of the coral eventually grow to cover the plug? This is my first stony coral and I have no idea how they grow.

Only the areas with flesh grow new skeleton- so no. It will pretty much branch out from the live areas without ever growing over the plug/base.

Overfloater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to frag it, I would leave an inch or so of skeleton below the flesh. I have several frags with multiple heads growing out of the skeleton.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The base won't grow, but as new heads grow it will expland out and cover everything. I have a couple of spots in my tank that are soccer ball size that began with a couple of heads. Takes time though. Seems all the new reefers have little patience and want instant reefs.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.
Picture? To answer your question, No, euphyllia doesn't encrust over things. Do you know what type of hammer you have? I'm assuming branching since it's glued down to something. If it's branching it'll continue to grow up towards your lights and out, similar to tree branches. If it's a wall hammer it'll grow wider (like a bush) but won't encrust.

Hope that helps! Share a picture, here are a few from my tank :)

Wall hammer:
IMG-2642.JPG

Euphyllia garden:
IMG-2640.JPG

Branching hammers:
IMG-2641.JPG

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of one of mine. At least as big as a soccer ball. Notice the gorg growing through it. This is just your run of the mill purple tip hammer.

hammer.jpg

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of one of mine. At least as big as a soccer ball. Notice the gorg growing through it. This is just your run of the mill purple tip hammer.

hammer.jpg
You got any rock to go with that hammer!!! How long have you been growing that?

Alex808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they grow, they usually get round and make a huge ball of tentacles. These started as one sad polyps and now they reach over and touch the sand.

8807E2FF-CA70-49DC-B0CE-91A97A3A4FE3.jpeg A6DBE0D4-3BCB-4A3C-993E-F50E35B8C027.jpeg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back