Will a hippo tang actually outgrow it's tank?

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen 14 instances now where a hippo tang was put into a tank small and never outgrew it's tank. The oldest one I've seen is now 9 years old in a 75g tank and is only about 5" long. The others have all stayed around the same size. I keep seeing information going both ways, and one LFS has now told me that in the ocean they will get that big but if you get them small they'll stay that way.

I'm trying to decide which way this works. On the one had I've love to have one as they're my second favorite fish, but on the other hand I won't have a fish in an inappropriate environment. I'm pretty much limited to a 6' tank max (currently have a 4' 75g) and don't have the $$$ right now to upgrade. So other than consensus is there any research showing how these fish actually adapt their size to their environment? I've generally found consensus to be of little use as I always get both responses :D

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish actually adapt their size to their environment
I've seen plenty of stunted fish, and raised a couple, which is what this would be. Too much stress, poor water quality, poor diet in part from inadequate grazing opportunities, lack of activity from either simple lack of space (4' in a species that would dart 40' in the wild if you said 'boo') of whatever boredom is like in a fish.

This is one of the reasons a person might think the 'minimum tank size' recommendations need to be done away with in favor of 'ideal tank size' recommendations (tank volume that would be expected to produce the longest lived and healthiest fish).

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen plenty of stunted fish, and raised a couple, which is what this would be. Too much stress, poor water quality, poor diet in part from inadequate grazing opportunities, lack of activity from either simple lack of space (4' in a species that would dart 40' in the wild if you said 'boo') of whatever boredom is like in a fish.

This is one of the reasons a person might think the 'minimum tank size' recommendations need to be done away with in favor of 'ideal tank size' recommendations (tank volume that would be expected to produce the longest lived and healthiest fish).

Okay, now that makes a lot more sense than things I've been told. Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated.

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO even a 5" hippo tang in a 75g is pretty cramped and still too big for the tank even if it 'looks' happy. These guys love to SWIM like crazy. I think chronic stress plays a role when fish don't reach their true wild size in smaller tanks.

Just like how a human isn't going to thrive in an environment not right for them, fish (and all animals for that matter) are no different I think

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back