Will a Pistol Shrimp keep me awake?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Budman93
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Budman93

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 24, 2016
Messages
415
Reaction score
466
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Have had my 10g nano up for about 7 weeks now and want to add a shrimp/crab to it to give it some more life. I've been looking at a Goby/shrimp pair but am honestly worried it will keep me awake at night with it's snapping. Anyone have any idea? Also if you know of any reef safe alternatives let me know!
 
Lol, no not at all.
It snaps yes but some stories i hear a man an do is only laugh.
 
It's not that loud lol. Sounds like someone tapping on the glass with a rock from the inside. I'm usually up till lights are completely off (12 am) and I dont hear mine snapping often. Every now and then he will crack off a really loud one.
 
Mine lives in a corner, and does pop off several times a day (or night...) but it's not _that_ loud, or all that frequent. I can hear it (barely) from the next room, but that's about it. He usually does it when a hermit crab blunders too close to his lair.

_Don't_ try to stick your finger in his den! I've done it, and getting popped off on can be ... startling.

~Bruce
 
I only heard mine a handful of times in 3 years or so, they say they only do it as a warning to intruders.
 
I had a pistol shrimp goby pair in a 10 gallon right by my bed.
I did wake up a few times from its snapping but he snapped a heck of a lot.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new