Will a skimmer clear up water?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank currently has a bunch of small particles floating in the water column that just won’t go away. I’ve never really had this problem before. Will a skimmer help with removing them? I attached a picture but not sure you can tell
3222E1AE-AE8F-4E11-A733-39AF405A5759.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank currently has a bunch of small particles floating in the water column that just won’t go away. I’ve never really had this problem before. Will a skimmer help with removing them? I attached a picture but not sure you can tell
3222E1AE-AE8F-4E11-A733-39AF405A5759.jpeg
Back in the old days before sumps and filter socks, we used to put canister filters with pleated felty-like paper we'd weekly clean by hosing off. I miss that sparkling clean water and often toy with the idea of picking up a canister filter for periodic use as my filter socks don't give same look... corals need foods/floaties in the water so I've not yet done anything. Canister filter might be solution since you don't want filter socks.

While I'm an advocate of skimmers, don't think they'd clear up larger water particles

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you need filter floss or a sock to remove the larger stuff.
The larger stuff I don’t mind as much. Just trying to get the smaller dust like particles out of the water column. I added some floss so we will see if that helps. It will probably drive my ATO crazy

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the old days before sumps and filter socks, we used to put canister filters with pleated felty-like paper we'd weekly clean by hosing off. I miss that sparkling clean water and often toy with the idea of picking up a canister filter for periodic use as my filter socks don't give same look... corals need foods/floaties in the water so I've not yet done anything. Canister filter might be solution since you don't want filter socks.

While I'm an advocate of skimmers, don't think they'd clear up larger water particles
stuff your filter socks with filter floss and walk away for a couple of hours. your fish will look like they're suspended in air. only caveat is it'll probably only be that way for a few days.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back