Will adding new fish spook my flaming prawn goby?

andrewvu169

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 30, 2025
Messages
12
Reaction score
3
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states, I recently got a flaming goby, hes currently the sole inhabitant of my tank other than some corals. He has been starting to venture out and gain confidence outside of his cave slowly picking at rocks for food. I even saw him munch a small frozen mysis today. I want to eventually get a small scooter dragonet and a neon blue cleaner goby. Maybe even a yasha, I am just concerned about these guys scaring him into reclusivity for good, or do you think it will be okay?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7840.mov
    6.1 MB
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

#WelcometoR2R

I think your fish will be fine, but let's bump this for some other opinions 🙂
 
It could be the opposite. Fish by themselves are often timid and shy IME. but if there are other fish in the tank, they feel braver in numbers and usually venture out more
 
It could be the opposite. Fish by themselves are often timid and shy IME. but if there are other fish in the tank, they feel braver in numbers and usually venture out more
Ohh okay I didn’t even think of that thank you, I just knew they were always timid fish, I just wanted to make sure none of these guys might scare the lil dude.
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

#WelcometoR2R

I think your fish will be fine, but let's bump this for some other opinions 🙂
Got it okay! Thank you for the welcome, I’ll look into adding maybe a cleaner goby once this one is a little more established
 
Ohh okay I didn’t even think of that thank you, I just knew they were always timid fish, I just wanted to make sure none of these guys might scare the lil dude.
This is definitely "a thing" where you add a fish or two that's quite bold, and they can often encourage more reclusive fish to come out and feed. Safety in number, kind of thing. They actually call those braver fish "dither fish" when used for this purpose.
 
Ohh okay I didn’t even think of that thank you, I just knew they were always timid fish, I just wanted to make sure none of these guys might scare the lil dude.

Love that! Thank you for the swift answer!

Edit: it’s a 2.5 gal peninsula (the Temu one) do you have any species you’d recommend to help him come out more?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new