Will API Algaecide Harm Macro Algae?

Nathanael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried doing a Google search for this an couldn't find anything...
I have some algae problems in my tank (nothing too serious, but I don't want it to get out of hand), but I also have macros that I really like. Will this algaecide harm them? Or if so, is there another one that won't?
I use a product to reduce Nitrates and Phosphates, and they are at zero, so don't say "just reduce Nitrates and Phosphates". Also, I have my lights on an 8-9 hr. cycle, so I don't think it's too long.
The thing is, these macros aren't doing so well, and I think that's because there aren't any nutrients available for them. So I'd like my Nitrates and Phosphates to at least be present, but just not too high. Also, I just have zoas and softies, which I've heard benefit from low levels (I.e. not just at zero).
If algaecides aren't a good idea, are there any animals that are efficient at reducing unwanted algae but not macros?

Sorry that's a lot, thanks for taking the time to read it. Again, I tried researching this, but nothing came up (I only ask on a forum as a last resort)...

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be tagging along to see what people say ;)
In advanced stages of algae growth you can be nutrient free they don't care.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes an algaecide will kill macros.
yes the macros are not doing well due to low No and Po
no zoas and softies seem to prefer slightly higher nutrients.
Macros in general are for excess nutrient export. key word exess.
So if you already have low numbers the macros(and bad algae) are in fact competing with your corals.

Lowering nutrints is the first step in controlling bad algaes. the next is removal.
Manual.....tooth brush in most cases works best. low nutrints helps them not come back.
Peroxide is an oxidiser and kills algae too. some use that to help with the scrubbing. it kills the alge and controlled nutrints help it not come back.
Algaecides are similar to peroxide. it kills alage.

Once nuisance algaes are removed and neutrons are at levels the corals like RE-INTRODUCTION is the goal. By dipping, cleaning and or qt.
mainly because algae likes the same stuff coral do.

IMO and may make you feel better, there is a little old lore in the lowering nutrient myth. it used to be a serious struggle to keep NO and Po down. The numbers used to be much higher relative to yours and todays standards.
The key IMO, is getting and keeping the bad stuff out or in low numbers(like my 55). I have 6 or 8 different "bad" algaes in there and my tank looks pretty darned good. and the No PO numbers are good for the corals I have. if something gets to big I scrub it and maybe 4 months liter I might have to scrub it again. it takes 2 seconds.

to maintain a truly algae free tank I think you would have to run a constant or annually treated algaecide program.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes an algaecide will kill macros.
yes the macros are not doing well due to low No and Po
no zoas and softies seem to prefer slightly higher nutrients.
Macros in general are for excess nutrient export. key word exess.
So if you already have low numbers the macros(and bad algae) are in fact competing with your corals.

Lowering nutrints is the first step in controlling bad algaes. the next is removal.
Manual.....tooth brush in most cases works best. low nutrints helps them not come back.
Peroxide is an oxidiser and kills algae too. some use that to help with the scrubbing. it kills the alge and controlled nutrints help it not come back.
Algaecides are similar to peroxide. it kills alage.

Once nuisance algaes are removed and neutrons are at levels the corals like RE-INTRODUCTION is the goal. By dipping, cleaning and or qt.
mainly because algae likes the same stuff coral do.

IMO and may make you feel better, there is a little old lore in the lowering nutrient myth. it used to be a serious struggle to keep NO and Po down. The numbers used to be much higher relative to yours and todays standards.
The key IMO, is getting and keeping the bad stuff out or in low numbers(like my 55). I have 6 or 8 different "bad" algaes in there and my tank looks pretty darned good. and the No PO numbers are good for the corals I have. if something gets to big I scrub it and maybe 4 months liter I might have to scrub it again. it takes 2 seconds.

to maintain a truly algae free tank I think you would have to run a constant or annually treated algaecide program.

Spot on!

OP
OP
N

Nathanael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saltyfilmfolks, thanks for your detailed response, but I was wondering what you meant by "no zoas and softies seem to prefer slightly higher nutrients." You mean that they do or don't prefer slightly higher nutrients? What I was saying was that I thought they did well with some N and P, just not in high levels, and I think you're agreeing with me, but I just wanted to make sure...
So if I'm understanding you correctly, algae is something you have to just kind of live with and keep it under control through manual removal and keeping nutrients at reasonable levels.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean that they do or don't prefer slightly higher nutrients?
yes. they do prefer slightly higher nutrints. IMO IME
the numbers Randy quotes are good. higher is ok too. esp if your judging by the health of the coral, not just the numbers.

I had huge accelerated growth with easy sps and acro too with stupid high nutrints. BUT, I had just added a LOT of light too. and had little nuisance algae in the dt. its was an accidental balance.
The nutrient flood was due to my talbot damsel shredding my Deep sand bed. I wanted to sashimi him, but when the acro had quadrupled in size and the stylos even more in ONE MONTH!!!!!!
I let him off the hook, and bought him a little hidey hole that he seems to like. Hes still a jerk face though.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, algae is something you have to just kind of live with and keep it under control through manual removal and keeping nutrients at reasonable levels.
yes. exactly.
and really try not to introduce it to the system. that imo is key.

OP
OP
N

Nathanael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, thanks. Yeah things haven't been growing much at all in the past couple months, so I'm thinking that's a big reason why...

As far as algae eaters, I was thinking about maybe getting a blenny. How are they at keeping down algae? I assume they'd mostly eat hair algae? Do they eat macros?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back