Will attempt to breed nudibranch - RO/DI?

SueAndHerZoo

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 30, 2014
Messages
343
Reaction score
187
Location
Central Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 6 berghia nudibranches arriving in a couple of days and instead of just putting them in my 90 gallon or 72 gallon tank, I want to put them into something smaller to see if I can get them to multiply first. I've been doing a bunch of reading on the best way to achieve this but I'm seeing mixed thoughts on whether or not I should start their 2 gallon tank with fresh RO/DI water or if I should use water from my established tanks? I'm also setting up a 6 gallon tank to grow aiptasia - something I never thought I'd say!
Sue
 
OK, but what's in established tank water that might be helpful..... isn't all the "good stuff" on the rocks, sand and glass?

I am setting up a tank just for aiptasia and probably won't be able to grow enough before the nudi's arrive in 3 days, but I am hoping I can get at least one batch of nudi's to give me more than the original six I ordered. I've been able to successfully raise seahorses and clownfish - and I love a challenge! :)
Sue
 
OK, but what's in established tank water that might be helpful..... isn't all the "good stuff" on the rocks, sand and glass?

I am setting up a tank just for aiptasia and probably won't be able to grow enough before the nudi's arrive in 3 days, but I am hoping I can get at least one batch of nudi's to give me more than the original six I ordered. I've been able to successfully raise seahorses and clownfish - and I love a challenge! :)
Sue
The nitrifying bacteria is primarily benthic (so on the surfaces mentioned), yes; other bacteria strains are pelagic though, so they'd be in the water column.

There may be some benefits to either tank water or RO/DI; either one should work honestly.
 
Why not use new water to benefit the display with the clean water and heavy trace elements and put the used water in the breeding tank where the nudis and the glass anemones will thrive in the old water?
 
if you havent already started breeding aiptasia for the smaller tank it might be too late to set up a breeding tank for them.
Maybe start them in the display tank and move them over in a month or 2 when you have aiptasia growing well in a different system to breed. They come out at night and are easy to spot when on the glass
 
if you havent already started breeding aiptasia for the smaller tank it might be too late to set up a breeding tank for them.
Maybe start them in the display tank and move them over in a month or 2 when you have aiptasia growing well in a different system to breed. They come out at night and are easy to spot when on the glass
That's a good idea, but I'm afraid if I put these .25" buggers into a huge tank full of rockwork, corals, fish and interbrates (including amphipods) I may never see them again. I figured if I could come up with 20 or so nudi's then I could put half of them in the display tank and still try to breed a few others. I have a friend at the LFS - I'll have to take a ride tomorrow to see if I can steal some of his aiptasia.
Sue
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new