Will Banggai Cardinals eat small fish (like a yellow clown goby)?

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per the title. I am wondering if they eat small fish. Certainly I have seen other types of cardinals eat small fish, so I am concerned about whether I should buy one.

OP
OP
betareef

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never heard of such a thing

Many years ago I previously had a black cardinal (I think) and walked in to find him with a small clownfish stuck halfway down his throat. A lot of similarities to the Banggai, big mouth etc. Hence my question.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per the title. I am wondering if they eat small fish. Certainly I have seen other types of cardinals eat small fish, so I am concerned about whether I should buy one.
If you have enough hiding spots in branchy corals such as seriatopora hystrix or certain acros it shouldn’t be an issue.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen nor heard of it - they will snap at things in the water column that pass by, but if the clown goby is an adult size or near it, they don't generally go for something that big (some chunks of frozen smaller have been attempted but spit out.) If you've got a young clown goby and you're not feeding enough, maybe, I suppose, but despite their huge mouth capacity, most of it is usually reserved for eggs - they tend not to go for really big chunks.

Had my pair with one yellow clown goby for a little while without issue (the goby had a taste for an acro...), and they've been fine near small dragonets, neon gobies, and hector's gobies.

jthunderzzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have really only seen cardinals go after other cardinals. Peaceful otherwise in my experience.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back